THIRTY-TWO

This was her last chance

The memory that floated up like a cloud and came to her as vividly as the day it had happened was Nadine's only offering to Nadia. In the moments waiting for her sister to come back, Nadine questioned whether the memory was reality or something she had hallucinated. After all, they gave her a drug she had never taken before, and she suspected it served its purpose.

It could have been hours or minutes, but it was taking too long for Nadia to come back into the prison Nadine and her mother lived in. Anxiety bit at her chest until she couldn't wait any longer.

"Nadia!" She screamed, "Come in here, I--I wanna talk." Raising her voice took a lot of energy, energy she didn't have. She couldn't remember the last time she had an appetite, the last time she nibbled on the scraps of food they delivered on a tray.

"What is it, Nadine? Tell me, explain it to me," her mother pleaded, but Nadine shook her head. She'd tell them both at once, not wanting to miss a single detail.

"Nadia! Nadia!" Her screaming match was cut short by chest rattling coughs. Her chest itched and she became more aware of the feeling of heat under her skin .

Her mother shushed her, telling her to reserve her strength. Instead, she yelled for Nadia herself. Maybe ten minutes passed before they heard the infamous heel-clacking footsteps approaching. The huge steel door opened and Nadia strutted in, looking nothing less than perfect.

Nadine wondered what her sister did all day to always look so prim and proper. She imagined it was far better than spending every second of every hour chained up like an animal, unaware of how long it had been since she'd seen the sun.

The sun was something she looked forward to. Warmth on her skin, instead of the muggy coldness of the room they were locked in. She'd get there soon, she promised herself. Whether that was in reality or in what came after death.

Nadia kneeled down and smiled down at her. "Moonie, what's all this yellin' about? Ain't you tired?"

"I kn-know what you want. What he wants. A-And it's not g-good, Nadia."

"W-Well s-start t-talking," Nadia mocked her stutter. The insult made Nadine want to reach out and slap her. She had wasted so much time torturing them, she didn't realize she was caught in a web much bigger than herself.

"Ten years ago. I--I couldn't sleep one night. I couldn't never get comfortable in the old beds and cramped room they gave us. D-Do you remember that?"

Nadia smiled bitterly. "I do. That room was so hot, it was like we were down south all over again."

"I couldn't sleep that night. N--Not like I could ever sleep. I heard our father downstairs w-with someone. His name w-was Drew."

Beside her, Evelyn gasped. Nadine thought her mother looked like she had something to say, but she bit her tongue.