FIVE

Nadine let the hot water soak her body until it burned

Nadine let the hot water soak her body until it burned. The heat and the steam would surely make her hair frizzy and her skin red and patchy, but she did not care. The intensity with which the boiling water rained down on her produced nothing other than a blank stare from Nadine.

Within a couple of minutes, tenants from the apartments on either side and above her banged and yelled at her through the walls. "You using up all the damn water, bitch!"

She was used to the insults and had been called out of her name too many times to count. On a normal day she would have given them the same energy they hurled at her, but today she was drained. Grabbing the bar of soap and her washcloth, she scrubbed every inch of her body with a quickness.

Wrapping a towel around her body, she stepped out of the shower. Grabbing a brush from the sink, she brushed all of it up into a ponytail. That was all Titus was going to get from her.

No matter how much she pinched herself, everything was still real. She worked for Braxton now, and there was nothing she could do about it for the time being. As long as she delivered on her part, this would all be over soon.

Nadine slipped on a tight skirt from the pile of clothes found in her bedroom and paired it with a halter top bralette. This is what Titus liked her to wear, but she couldn't say she didn't feel cute in it.

The marks on her arms were beginning to fade, but that didn't mean she wasn't getting her fix. The spot in between her toes was still sore from her last use. Ignoring the dull pain, she slipped on some heels and began to mentally prepare herself for the street.

She did not make any arrangements to meet Titus because she knew that would make him suspicious. After all, he was a creature of habit. Every Friday night he would come and get her from her usual corner. Today, however, it was to be different.

Braxton usually did not waste his time doing the lowly jobs he gave his underlings, but this was much different. The hit was personal and had to be dealt with as such.

He staked out the sight where Nadine told him to expect Titus. Even at night, Compton had heavy foot traffic. The sounds of cars, people, and nightlife soothed him; he felt completely in his element.

Braxton lit the newly rolled blunt and took a long drag. He watched as Nadine stepped out from her building to the corner right in front of it. She spoke a little with a couple of women who were already out there, but mainly she kept to herself. He felt that lonely vibe from her, despite the fact that they have known each other for less than a week.

He wondered if she could tell that he was that way, too.

To avoid hotboxing, he rolled the window down. In the back of his mind, he knew he only did it to get a better look at Nadine. He knew he was attracted to her physically, but there was something about her that made him want to know more. As intimidating as he was, he couldn't seem to really break her as he had done to others in the past. She was as tough as nails and he wanted to know how she came to be that way.