TWENTY-FIVE

The sound of wind rustling outside the window rung throughout Braxton's silent bedroom

The sound of wind rustling outside the window rung throughout Braxton's silent bedroom. The bed he once shared with Nadine felt empty and cold. That emptiness was why he hadn't slept in the two weeks since she had disappeared.

He rolled out of the bed and slipped on his house shoes. Wearing only that and some low hanging joggers, he stepped through the double doors that led to the balcony in his room.

The air hit his chest and face, making sure he was wide awake. He thought of the nights he used to bring Nadine out here to just watch the quiet streets below, or to look at the moon. She would lay wrapped up in his arms, eventually falling asleep and making him carry her back to bed. All of that felt so distant now that she was gone. In her place was the bitter feeling of betrayal.

He should have been more angry with her. He should have killed her as soon as she walked through the front door that night, or forced her to go to one of the traps so she could be properly questioned. Those were things he knew he should have done. But in his heart, he knew he'd never do that to her. He couldn't, because it wasn't in him to do that to someone he loved.

No matter how much damage she may have done by betraying his trust, he would never hurt her. He loved her too much. Sitting on the balcony alone, he admitted it to himself. A fact he couldn't deny. The hollow feeling in his chest because of her absence confirmed this as true.

If he loved her that much, why did he say what he said? Why did he bring up the very thing she was insecure about-- her past, her addiction? Those angry words flew out of him in the moment, but he meant none of it. And those were the last words he had spoken to her.

Two, almost three, weeks later Nadine was still as gone as the wind. He had everyone looking for her; he even went out on the street a few times to see for himself. Wherever she went, it must have been far.

Either that, or she was dead.

Braxton shook his head, wishing the thought away with a shiver that snaked down his spine. He hoped to God that that wasn't her fate, but he couldn't stop going over the facts: someone out there still wanted her dead. And now that he wasn't protecting her, they would get their wish.

He stayed out on the balcony until the sun began to rise, turning the sky shades of orange and purple.

Mentally, he was stuck. He couldn't figure out how to move forward and needed someone to talk it all out with. Knowing she'd be sleeping in this morning, Braxton decided to pay his sister and niece a visit.

He stood at Raegan's door, wearing the same joggers and house shoes, plus a thermal he just grabbed and threw on. He knew he probably looked crazy, but that was the last thing on his mind.

After knocking three times and calling her twice, Raegan finally came to open the door for her brother. She first looked him up and down, then silently stepped aside for him to enter. Her hair was still in a bonnet, and puffy bags lined her under eyes. She pulled her robe tighter, feeling a breeze of air hit her from outside.