3

Hakim wasn't used to luxurious neighborhoods

Hakim wasn't used to luxurious neighborhoods. Even in his hometown in Accra, he never dared going near where rich people lived, scared to be categorized as a thief and being thrown in jail like so many other people before him.

Yet, now that he was in one of the nicest districts in Paris, he didn't feel like he'd missed out on much. The streets were quiet and deserted. Even the birds didn't sing. The young man had distaste clearly written on his face as he walked alongside Sasha. She, on the other hand, was smiling like it was the best day of her life.

They moved for five more minutes before stopping in front of Gigi Montagne's house. Hakim noticed how every curtain was drawn in front of the windows. It was as if no one was home. Sasha stopped at the gate and turned towards him.

"Before we go in...There is something you must know." She said.

"What?"

"My boss...She can be really mean. That's actually why I struggled to find her a housekeeper for so long. Every person who worked for her before knows that she has a bad temper and it only got worse with the passing of her husband. I am telling you now so you can brace yourself, alright?"

"Yeah."

"Don't take anything she says personally. She's just sad ok?"

"Uh-huh."

"Great!"

Hakim thought he should have been warned before accepting to come all the way here but didn't mention anything to Sasha. He followed the young woman through the gate and into the house of Gigi Montagne.

It was too quiet for him. As they walked down the hallway toward the living-room, Hakim could only hear the echo of his own footsteps. A shiver ran down his spine as he imagined the ghost of Mr Montagne, still hunting the place. Once they were in the living-room, he sat on the couch next to Sasha and she quickly texted her boss.

"She is coming down." She announced afterward.

They waited in silence. Hakim could clearly see the need for a housekeeper as the furniture in the living-room were all covered in dust and the carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed for a while.

As he was thinking of all the effort it would take to clean that room alone, he heard the sound of nonchalant footsteps coming closer. Hakim looked toward the door in anticipation. His eyes widened when a woman stepped into the living-room. The young man didn't expect anything in particular but still, Gigi Montagne was far from the image he had of a rich French woman.

Gigi had her hair up in a messy bun, strands escaping from it and floating in front of her face. She wore an old oversized plaid shirt with sweatpants and she hugged a bottle of wine against her chest. Her dull eyes didn't focus on anything in particular as she swayed lazily towards the center of the room.

Hakim thought she'd fall because of how unsteady her steps were. He hesitated to stand and help her walk but the woman managed to take herself to the couch in front of them and sit with a sigh. For the first time, she stared at her guests, her eyes passing quickly over Sasha but staring intensely at Hakim, her frown deepening with each passing second.