23

Hakim had imagined his wedding day to be completely different.

He was supposed to have the ceremony in Accra, surrounded by loved ones. It was all planned out in his mind but this turn of events was completely unexpected. Heck, he wasn't even marrying the woman he thought he would. 

Even though he knew it wasn't a real wedding, Hakim still felt like he was getting engaged for life. It was scaring him a bit as he waited in front of the stairs for Gigi to show up. Next to him, there was Thomas and Sasha. The latter nudged him before wriggling her eyebrows:

"You look like you're going to be sick." She mocked.

"Don't even mention it or I'm really going to throw up..." He responded.

"I know how you must feel. I have been dealing with the same thing since my fiance proposed to me. But hey, at least yours is not a real lifelong commitment. It's just for the sake of your residency, right?"

"I know but it doesn't ease the stress."

"Thomas. Any words to make Hakim relax?"

Thomas who'd been scrolling mindlessly through his phone shrugged:

"I just want us to be at the town hall and get over it already. I want to get out of this suit. It's nice but so damn uncomfortable. I don't think I can last more than two hours in it, to be honest."

The young boy didn't see the glare from Sasha. She was about to throw something at him when the sound of heels attracted all of their attention. The three of them looked toward the stairs. Gigi was standing at the top, wearing a pretty white dress and her brown hair flowing down her back in a nice hairstyle she did herself. Her hands were held in front of her, shoulders pulled back in an elegant posture.

She looked like royalty.

Hakim's mouth hung open as his wife-to-be made her way down the stairs toward him

Hakim's mouth hung open as his wife-to-be made her way down the stairs toward him. He couldn't get his eyes off of her. Suddenly, it became even harder to remember that it wasn't all for real.

Maybe he wished it was.

She stopped in front of him and took a deep, shaky breath. She too was pretty anxious about the whole thing.

"How do I look?" She asked, biting nervously on her lower lip. "I kept simple but I hope this will do anyway..."

"You look marvelous!" Sasha quickly complimented, holding her own face between her hands.

"Very pretty, mom," Thomas added with a little blush.

Hakim, on the other hand, struggled to find the right words to describe Gigi. Nothing seemed "right" enough.

"Uh...You look stunning, Mrs. Montagne." He blurted out. Probably the most beautiful bride that ever walked on the face of the earth."

Gigi's lips stretched into a little smile. She thanked them all but her eyes lingered a bit longer on Hakim. He couldn't look away either. Sasha had to drag them out of their reveries: