37

Ashantee was very surprised when the guard announced that she had a visitor, someone other than her lawyer. She wondered if her family members had finally decided to come see her after five days in jail but when he was taken to the visiting room, a bigger surprise was awaiting.

Hakim was sitting alone, his arms folded over the table. Shan was ecstatic and didn't even notice the hard look he was giving here. She danced on her feet, waiting for the guard to finish uncuffing her. As soon as she was free, she hurried to Hakim and leaned down to give him a hug but he remained stoic in her arms.

"Oh babe, are you really here?" She cried. "I thought I would never see you again in my life. Thank you for coming, really...I missed you so much. Please...Will you look at me?"

She took his face between her hands. Hakim did look at her but not in the loving way she expected. Shan painfully realised that Hakim didn't come to make up with her. Of course not...How could he forgive her after what she did . 

"Have a seat, Ashantee." He said, sounding like a doctor with his patient. "There."

He pointed at the chair in front of him. Shan gave a sharp nod and obeyed. The table between them was huge. She could extend her arms all she wanted but still wouldn't be able to touch him. Hakim was not only far, he was in a whole different planet.

"I didn't come here for a friendly visit, Ashantee." He stated. "I think you must have figured that much out. I'm taking a plane back to France tomorrow morning...I really considered leaving without seeing you again but in the end, I changed my mind."

"You did good, Hakim." She interrupted. "You have never been the one to hold grudges, I'm glad...Glad that you wanted to put things right between us."

Hakim looked at her as if she suddenly grew a second head. He let out a dry laugh before repeating:

"Set things right? Does that make sense to you?"

"...Sorry?"

"Yes, you should be sorry. There is nothing to set right here, we are far beyond that, Shan. Rather, I came here to tell you that you have failed. You tried to manipulate me and cause pain to the woman I love but you have failed miserably and you will live the rest of your life paying for what you have done."

Shan's lower lip trembled. The harsh words coming out of Hakim's mouth were like venom, slowly filtering in her blood. It hurt. The only person that ever cared about her was now the one that hated her the most.

"I was wrong." She cried, despite knowing that there was nothing she could say to fix it. "I really regret it Hakim, I swear on my life. I acted in a moment of weakness. I regretted as soon as I talked to the gang but it was already too late. I could no longer back out of it, you have to believe me."

"That's not true, Shan. Do you want me to tell you what went through your mind? It was greed, jealousy and bitterness. The only thing you regret is failing. It was no spurt of the moment...You have been manipulating me since you were a teen. You've never even loved me."

"Don't say that!" She yelled so loud that the guard at the door came to check on them. She continued after he left. "I loved you, okay? You're the only man I ever loved but you...It didn't take you long to fall for someone else, did it? You betrayed me!"

"Don't be delusional. You loved me but still used me for money. You loved me but didn't tell me about grandma's death. You loved me but didn't mind knowing that I was sleeping with another woman as long as you got your cash every two weeks, right?! You have a damn strange way of proving your love, Shan."