4

It took Hakim half the day to clean the ground floor of Mrs Montagne's house

It took Hakim half the day to clean the ground floor of Mrs Montagne's house. By the time he was done, sweat was dripping down his face like water, despite the cold. His back muscles were also having a dull ache but it was all worth it. The house was sparkling. He could see himself in the marble of the kitchen's counter and a gentle scent of lavender from the cleaning products was lingering in the air. He was rather satisfied with his work.

But Hakim wasn't done yet. He sighed loudly as he stopped in front of the stairs leading to the first floor, a place he hadn't yet visited. He wasn't sure if he was allowed to go up there but he still had to see how much work he had left. Plus, no one gave him any rules. With all his courage in hand, he climbed the stairs, holding his bucket full of cleaning products.

He frowned as he reached a dark hallway, due to the absence of windows. He had to turn on the lights to see where he was going. There were three doors. Hakim didn't want to open any of them, anxious about what he could find but he also didn't want to get scolded for not doing his job.

That's how he ended up knocking on the first door on his right and without any answer, he pushed it open, just enough to slide in. Hakim had found Gigi Montagne's bedroom.

The first thing he noticed was the heavy smell of alcohol and cigars. He scratched his nose as he went further into the gloomy room with curtains drawn and clothes hanging on every furniture. Hakim could see a few glasses and bottles of alcohol on the floor. Wine had left a huge red stain on the fine carpet and everything else was dusty.

Hakim walked cautiously to the bed and saw Gigi's head peeking from under the blanket. The woman was deeply asleep and still hugging her empty bottle of wine. Her face looked peaceful but Hakim knew about the sadness she carried around. Her mind was probably messier than her bedroom and he wished he could give it a deep clean as well.

Without really knowing why, Hakim felt the need to reach out and pat her head, maybe to give her a little bit of comfort. What he didn't expect though, was that Gigi's sleep wasn't as deep as it showed. He'd barely touched her hair that her eyes opened wide and she swiftly turned towards the foreign presence in her room.

"Uh?"

Hakim quickly stepped back as the woman sat up, looking scared and confused.

"What?" She said with a frown, glaring at Hakim.

"S-sorry, I didn't mean to wake you..."

"Who are you?"

It was Hakim's turn to be confused. Gigi's expression showed that she genuinely didn't recognize him.

"Why are you in my house?" She asked, holding her bottle of wine like a weapon.

"Hm...We were introduced a few hours ago. I am the new housekeeper, Mrs Montagne. I am sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up. I just came to clean the bedroom but I guess I will come back later."