6

Gigi realised Hakim's words had a real effect on her when she woke up the next day at six, without even the sound of her alarm clock. She was not hungover and didn't feel as drained as the previous days. It really felt like a new chapter of her life had begun.

She decided she'd go to the office for the first time in a month. She wasn't exactly thrilled by the idea of seeing her employees but still, it was something she had to do, at least to feel more responsible.

She took a long, warm shower and wore her outfit for the day. Nothing too extravagant, just dark jeans, a sweater and one of her favorite long black coats.

Though she was satisfied with her clothes, Gigi was less impressed by her face

Though she was satisfied with her clothes, Gigi was less impressed by her face. Her skin had seriously deteriorated due to the amount of alcohol she drank daily. Her eyes were not as sparkly as they used to be. She forced a smile but it looked horrible on her, her sadness being even more flagrant when she tried to hide it. With a curse under her breath, she grabbed a pair of sunglasses and put them on.

Better.

The woman grabbed her purse and left her bedroom. When she reached the ground floor, she heard a voice coming from the kitchen. No doubt it was Hakim but who was he talking to ? She peeked inside the room and found the housekeeper filling Thomas's cup with juice. The boy was sitting at the dining table with a frown on his face.

"How was the pain au chocolat ?" Hakim was asking him with a wide smile on his face. "I chose it especially for you."

"It was alright." Thomas mumbled before downing his orange juice.

Hakim chuckled before making his way to the sink. He then noticed Gigi standing by the door.

"Oh, good morning Mrs. Montagne!" He greeted her.

Gigi came in and nodded towards the housekeeper. Suddenly, Thomas was on his feet and grabbing his backpack.

"I'm going to school." He said, already walking towards the door.

"Wait." Gigi placed herself in front of him. "Hakim will walk you, honey."

"No, I don't want him to walk me. I am twelve years old, I can go to school by myself."

Gigi was about to protest but caught a glimpse of Hakim standing by the sink. The man was mouthing her to just let it go. Gigi sighed and stared at Thomas's angry face. She hated that face on him and after last night's altercation, she didn't want their relationship to get even worse.

"Fine." She spat out.

The boy didn't even thank her. He walked past her and out of the kitchen. Next thing they heard was the sound of the front door slamming shut. Gigi made her way to the dining table and sat with a scoff.

"Ungrateful brat."

"Thomas doesn't like to be babied, Mrs. Montagne." Hakim said, wiping dishes. "Plus, he is right. I see other twelve years olds taking the subway alone every time. He is smart enough to do it too."