19

Once Gigi had started drinking her wine, she couldn't stop anymore. She emptied her bottles one after the other, not even registering if she was drunk or not. It honestly just felt like water for her. She was numb, except for the sadness, the suffocating sadness she was trying to drown to no avail.

Her room was only lit by the dim light of her bedside lamp. She walked around like an animal in a cage, thinking of all the memories she had with Augustin. Those used to bring her joy before. Now, she couldn't help but scrutinize every one of them. Was her husband genuine during those moments? Was he just seeing her as a fool? Probably. She obviously was the only one that cared about their relationship.

Finishing her glass of wine in one gulp, she decided to get to work. She put a big box near her bed and started exploring. The first thing she grabbed was one picture on the nightstand. A family picture with the three of them. She took it out of its frame, tore Augustin's side, and threw it inside the box. The act pained her but it was just the beginning. She didn't want anything to remind her of her husband anymore.

She continued throwing things, starting with the pictures and then every gift from Augustin. It sounded funny when Thomas said that Vanessa and her friend wanted to tell her so she'd give up the company. Now she understood why. She was really this close to doing it because it repulsed her to own anything that came from Augustin.

The box turned out not to be enough. Gigi piled the items she found on the carpet. The more she did, the more eager she was to do a deep cleanse and get rid of everything around the house. In fact...

Someone knocked at the door of her room. Hakim opened it slightly before asking:

"Can I come in?"

Gigi didn't have the strength to reply. She just groaned. Hakim took it as a yes and stepped into the room, closing the door behind him. He did everything he could to hide the pity he felt. The poor woman was kneeling on the carpet, near the pile of things, looking absolutely miserable. Hakim also noticed the empty bottles of wine.

"Don't do this to yourself." He said. "He's not worth it."

"I'm going to sell this house," Gigi said, ignoring the housekeeper's advice. "Did you know? Augustin bought it. I'm just realizing now that everything in my life came from him. No wonder his parents treated me like a parasite. Maybe I am one. I used the inheritance from my parents to finish my studies and save for Thomas's ones. The rest was entirely taken care of by Augustin and now I have to get rid of it all."

"Why?"

"Because I want to forget that I ever met him. I don't think I can handle it if I let his betrayal set into my mind, Hakim. I prefer deleting every single memory of him."

"You cannot do that. No matter how hard it is right now, you must admit that Augustin will always be a part of your life. It cannot be undone. You built this life together and he's the father of your child. Are you going to throw Thomas away as well?"