30

Hakim reached out to hold Gigi's hands after they heard the pilot's message. They were going to land soon. The both of them exchanged a look. Gigi had a big smile on her face, excited that she was finally going to visit Hakim's country. She kissed the back of his hand but soon realized that her boyfriend didn't share her enthusiasm. He looked worried.

"I have a weird feeling." He said again just like he did before they boarded the plane.

"Hakim...I told you, there is nothing to worry about. What is it that you think will happen to us?"

"I don't know..."

Thomas was on the third seat next to them. He was asleep but woke up to the sound of people getting ready to get off. Hakim looked at him and then at Gigi. His frown only deepened.

No doubt, he was glad to be back home sooner than he had expected. He couldn't wait to show the best things that Accra had to offer to Gigi and Thomas. Yet, deep down in his gut, he was scared. It was such a huge responsibility to have them here with him. He felt the need to protect them but had no idea from what. That's what worried him the most. He knew there was a reason behind his worries but without an idea of what to look out for, it would be difficult to prepare.

"If anything happens to you here..." He said. "I don't think I could ever forgive myself.

Gigi shook her head:

"Babe, I am the one who decided to come here, alright? Even if something happens, which I seriously doubt, nothing would be on you. I would gladly take all responsibilities."

"I'm afraid I won't be able to control the feeling of guilt..."

Thomas leaned over to reply to Hakim. He had a tiny smirk on his face:

"Don't stress about it, Hakim. We are already here. What are we going to do, get on another plane to France?"

Hakim sighed. Thomas was right. He wasn't able to stop Gigi before they took the plane so there was no point in talking about his worries when they were just about to land. He nodded and Gigi held his hand against her cheek, in a way that made him feel less nervous.

Soon enough, they were off the plane and had found their suitcases, ready to set foot on Ghana's soil for the first time. It was three in the morning and only a few travelers were inside in the airport. Yet, as soon as they stepped outside, they realized that the city was not yet asleep, far from that!

There was a crowd out there, mainly composed of families that came to bid farewell to someone who was traveling. Other than that, there were a lot of peddlers, trying to sell various types of gadgets, or taxi drivers luring whoever they saw carrying suitcases to their cars.

One of them was quick to approach Hakim before anyone else could. When Hakim gave him the address of the villa they had rented, he offered a fairly reasonable price so the three of them followed him to his cab. The driver was an elderly man but very enthusiastic and light-hearted. The smile on his face never faded as he helped Hakim put the suitcases in the car trunk while Gigi and Thomas went inside.

They drove away from Kotoka airport and onto a highway. Hakim sat next to a cab driver who put on some local music. He started a little dance that amused Gigi and Thomas quite a bit.

"Where are you guys from?" He asked, looking at them through the rearview mirror.

"France," Gigi replied as Thomas rested his head over her shoulder.

"Oh, Paris!" The driver exclaimed with a big laugh. "I see a lot of french tourists are visiting our country lately. But it's a bit strange, I believe the holidays are still two months away for you, no? What brings you here so early?"