12

Hakim was back in Montreuil for the first time since he started working for Gigi. He missed this vibrant city, so different from the fancy and quiet neighbourhood where he now worked and lived. Before heading to the money transfer agency, he stopped by his previous apartment to greet his housemates who were glad that he could find a better situation.

And Hakim was glad too. Not only was his job as a housekeeper easier but it also paid better, which is why he could now send more money to his Shan.

He was actually back in Montreuil to transfer her some money. Half of his salary to be exact. As soon as it was done, he quickly texted her the tracking number before giving her a call.

She picked up after a few rings.

"Hey, did you send it ?" She asked.

Hakim loved to hear the sweet voice of his girlfriend but he hated the urgency in it. It wasn't always there. There was a time when Ashantee was carefree and happy all the time. But of course, more issues came her way as she grew up, and slowly, she just lost that sweet serenity.

And of course, her main issue was financial. Ashantee needed money all the time and a lot of it.

"I sent it, Shan." Hakim replied. "I just texted you the number."

"Great. You sent exactly what I asked for ?"

"Well, a little bit less actually."

"Babe, come on-"

"I know, I'm sorry but I sent as much as I could."

"You got a new job, right ? You said it pays well."

"It does and I just sent you half of my salary, Shan. I swear I could not do more than that."

"You understand why I'm asking you this, right ? Grandma is really sick. I wish you were here to see how much her health has deteriorated and the doctors won't even spare her a glance if we don't pay the bills."

"Shan, I'm not there right now but I very much understand what you're going through. I love grandma and I want her to get well soon too, okay ? Believe me, I sent you all I could."

"Can't you ask your boss to-"

"Absolutely not !"

Hakim regretted raising his voice instantly. He quickly apologised:

"I am so sorry, Shan. I didn't mean to raise my voice at you. It's just that I can't ask my boss for extra money. I like to deal with my own stuff alone, you know. I will try to see if I can send you more in a week. Please don't be upset."

He could hear her crying and Hakim's heart shattered.

"Shan..."

"Sorry for making it hard for you, babe." She mumbled. "I know you're doing your best. I'm just worried you know..."

"Of course. I understand how you feel and I promise, it will all get better soon."

"Okay...And thank you for the money. I think it should be enough to check grandma into the hospital and then we will see."

"Yes, I hope it will be enough. Please keep me informed if there is anything."

"I will, babe. I love you so much."

"I love you too."

Hakim waited for his girlfriend to hang up first before putting his phone back in his pocket. He sighed loudly, feeling bad for still not being able to cater to her needs. No matter how much he earned, it'd never be enough. He wasn't enough. He didn't deserve to be with someone like her. She was always the one to take him out of the most difficult situations but what did Hakim do to repay her ? Absolutely nothing.