Proposal --Prologue--

Book One: https://www.wattpad.com/story/278388849-fallen-hero-still-editing-chapters

Jim's Pov:

You can do this. It's four words.

I took a deep breath and marched outside to the main hall. We all live together now because of the whole, "If we're separated we're all weak" situation. Toby's door slowly creaked open and I saw him groggily come out.

"Jim?"

"O-oh hey, Tobes!" I said, trying to act natural.

"What are you doing so early?"

"I just wanted to go for an early walk?"

Aaarrrggghhh walked out from Toby's room with a controller in his hand, clearly from playing go-go sushi all night. He looked between the both of us and walked back in, confused. Toby left me alone and went back to sleep.

I let out a silent cheer to celebrate my victory as I sped down the stairs. I grabbed the keys to my Vespa and ran up to her room. I slowly creaked the door open to see a sleeping Claire on the bed. She stirred and lifted herself up to see me standing at the door.

"What is it? Are we under attack?" She asked sarcastically.

"No, but I want to take you somewhere."

"Like a date?"

"Close enough."

She shoved me out the door so she could get ready. I started having second thoughts about all of this. What if she said no? What if-

"You've gotten this far! Don't back out now." A little voice in my head said.

She popped back out in her usual clothes and told me to lead the way. I ran out to my Vespa which was waiting outside. I looked back to see Claire nowhere in sight.

"Hey." She said from behind me.

Startled, I looked back to see her already sitting down with her helmet on. I let out a sigh of relief and slowly started the engine.

"You're acting weird today."

"How?"

"First of all, it's two am in the morning." She said, gesturing to the pitch-black sky. "Second, you're sweating buckets in the middle of winter. We're in New Jersey, Jim. New Jersey."

"Fine. You caught me. Now, let's go on a little adventure."

"But, where?" She asked as we started moving.

"Where do you want to go?"

"Somewhere far away." She said, wrapping her arms around my waist and putting her head against mine. The butterflies in my stomach woke up and flew around like crazy.

She noticed my heart rate go up and smirked at me. She jumped off the Vespa, giving me a scare. She portaled on top of my fast-moving shadow and sunk into it. I stopped the Vespa and saw my own shadow waving back at me.

"Wasn't expecting that."

"I know." My own voice responded.

My shadow now had its own mind; Claire's mind. I shook my head, smiling.

"What's so funny?" She asked, turning back into her human form. "Did my de-stressing help, or no?"

"No. Not even close. I just thought about how far we've gotten in the past few years."

"Jim, is this about the soul corruption thing? If it is, I have literally no advice for you. My wisdom has run out."

"No, no. I mean- We've been through so much over the last five years. I'm willing to do anything for you and the others."