Different --Part 2--

Jim's Pov:

One... Two... Three... Four... Five... Six... Seven... Seven years. "I hate it here."

The chains rattled and echoed through the empty void of silence, as I walked across the smooth stone. If torture could be shown by a person, I would volunteer myself.

"If you're done sulking, we should go get Claire."

"What is wrong with you?" I asked. I genuinely was confused why she would do something like this. Last time, she didn't go this far. Maybe it's because of Juliette.

"Nothing is." She replied simply. "Now, let's get going."

I reluctantly got up and followed her, knowing I couldn't refuse even if I wanted to. Douxie walked by us, blind to what was happening. There was no hope of getting him on my side anymore. He's lost.

He scurried past, running off to Merlin like usual. Nyrx scoffed at him and dragged me with her to the pathway which led to the exit. Everyone looked the same. The exact same. It was unsettling. Only a handful looked like actual people.

"I see you've found the failures."

"Why are you even doing this? Let me guess, someone rejected you in the real world so you're making your own?"

Juliette's Pov:

"Absolutely not. I'm not going anywhere with you."

"It'll be fun! We could be like detectives, searching for-"

"Two people who have been presumed dead for seven years. Hard pass."

He groaned and grabbed what looked like a random twig with a crystal on top.

"What is that?"

"My staff. Like it?"

"It looks like a second grader's art project. No offense."

"None taken." He said, throwing it into a nearby box. "It's not like I spent a week making it."

"If you're done wasting my time, I have somewhere to be."

This time, he let me walk out the door without stopping me. I quickly rushed down the street to Toby's house and knocked rapidly. Toby's somehow alive nana opened the door and ushered me in with a smile.

"If you're looking for Tim, he's asleep."

"No no, I just wanted to see something in Toby's room."

"Oh well, go ahead! I know today is a hard day for you and your mother. With all the... death. Oh dear me, maybe I should stop talking."

I nodded as my only response and rushed upstairs. I burst into the room that had been untouched for years now ever since he moved out. I spotted the box mom had mentioned in one of her letters.

If she found out I read the letters, I'd be dead in two seconds flat.

I pulled it out from underneath the bed and inside was an unopened letter from a person's name I didn't recognize. I quickly stashed the letter in my jacket, shoved the box back under the bed, and sprinted downstairs. Nana had been waiting downstairs for me to come down.

"Did you find what you were looking for up there? I know Toby never cleans his room."

"No." I lied, "I didn't."

"Well, I'll be seeing you later today at the memorial."

"You too," I said, awkwardly, then rushed out the door.

I tore open the letter, only to find an address to a place I had never been to before.

"What's that?" Someone asked, making me yelp in surprise. It was Alpheus. Of course it was.

"Did you follow me?"

"Nope. I just asked your mom where you were going in such a hurry." He hesitated for a split second, "Also, you just walked across the street."

"Great. Now leave me alone."

"Not until you tell me what that paper is." He peeked over my shoulder to look at it, but I shielded it from his view.

"It's nothing."

"You sure? It seems like something."

I gave into his method of torture.

"Fine." I said, "I've been tracking my mom's letters for a while and it led me to find another letter by a person I don't know."

"Spooky."

"That's not the worst part. This letter has a random address on it that I've never been to. My mom is probably going there today."

He frowned when he looked at the address. He gave me an 'Are you sure?' look.

"This is the middle of the woods. Why would she go there?"

"I don't know."

"I know you may not want to hear me say this but..." He started, "Maybe she knows something we don't."

***This is a bit confusing but- That's just my writing style and preference of genre- (Sorry not sorry :)***