Back to the Kronosphere

In 2016, Regression 4:

"What you're experiencing is called regressions," Zong-shi said.

"You mean, I'm going to just keep going back in time and I can't do anything to stop it?"

"Thank you for summarizing what I've told you."

I groaned and held my head in my hands. He scoffed and walked away from me.

"You can't say I didn't warn you!" He yelled as he faded into the distance.

"How do I stop this?!" I yelled back.

No answer. Of course. I weasel myself out of one situation and into another.

Maybe I should just let it play out and see what happens?

Big mistake.

Regression 256; present:

"James?" I heard a voice call. I hated it when people used my full name, but I was forced to deal with it.

I spun to the sound of the voice to find that it was Guinevere. She'd also been brought back in this fake world. Even after countless regressions, I've yet to figure out why she was here.

"What is it?"

"Have you seen Morgana?" she asked with an enigmatic expression, "I can't find her anywhere."

"No. I don't know where she is."

Her voice cracked for a small moment before she asked, "Do you happen to hate me?"

In 2016, Regression 4:

"Jimbo?" Toby called, snapping me out of my thoughts, "You've been out of it all morning. Are you ok?"

"I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"Because you've been writing so hard, that you're about to rip your paper."

I looked down at my desk to see a small hole where my pencil had previously been. I put it down and groaned, tilting my head back.

"If I told you, would you believe me?"

"Depends."

Regression 256; present:

"What?"

"You seem pretty... disturbed by my presence."

That's only because you're supposed to be dead!

"I'm not," I assured her, "I'm just distracted."

"Oh..." she said, then left without another word.

I hopped off the bed and ran outside.

Time to check in on myself.

The lake nearby was most likely the only real thing in this fake world. When I asked her why she was doing this, her response was simple, "to show off my power."

That was obviously a lie. She'd tell me different things with every regression I had.

My feet slowly fell into the eerily, still waters. They fell until they'd finally reached the bottom. My hands were doing this on their own. They'd memorized this routine by now. They reached out and unlocked the hidden door, covered by plants.

I walked in to see the five life pods, side by side. Their clear lids had been hidden by a sheet of metal. With the hit of a button, they opened up as easily as a flower to reveal... myself. Staring back at me. My dead self was staring back at me, my eyes were still closed, but it still gave me shivers to look at myself.

I quickly closed the pod and swam back to the surface.

"That's never pleasant to see."

***I'm really sorry if it got dark really fast :,)***