Birthday surprise

Some of my earliest memories date back to when I was three. They're a bit fuzzy, but I still cherish them. My best one was my 4th birthday.

My parents were both arguing over what my favorite color was. I remember running away from my once happy mom as she tried to get my birthday clothes on me.

When I was five, my dad took me to Trollmarket for the first time. I remember collecting a bunch of small crystals which had fallen to the ground. My mother was standing behind me, displeased with my thievery.

When I was eight, I started coming to Trollmarket more often and mingling with the trolls. Blinky and Aaarrrggghhh had become my close companions in rough times. I loved it when Blinky used to tell me troll legends and curses.

When I was nine, my perfect childhood came to an end. The realms started clashing and well... I didn't exactly see my mother for a while after that. I stayed in Trollmarket, away from the 'outside world' for a while. People started revolting against trolls after a series of murders close to Trollmarket.

____________________________

"Rise and shine, my jewel!" I heard a voice yell.

Only one person calls me that.

"Stop it, Blinky. Let me sleep." I said, settling back into the blankets.

"Your mother is finally coming to visit, are you not excited?" He asked me, sitting on a rocky stool next to my bed.

"Why would I be excited? All they do is talk about the realms."

He sighed and pulled the blanket off me, exposing the empty candy wrappers I had hidden under my bed. I threw myself off the bed and walked off.

"I don't even feel like going. We never do anything as a family anymore." I paused at the doorway. "Why? Do you know? You probably do."

He walked up to me and placed a hand on my tensed shoulder.

"They used to be the most loving people I had ever met in my long lifetime."

"I know. I've heard. Every. Single. Day. People used to call them the "Romeo and Juliet" of the real world. That's kinda hard to believe."

"I think you may like what they've planned today."

"I doubt it."

"Please, give it a chance." He said with desperate eyes.

"Fine."

"Delightful! I shall leave you to your morning adventures." Then hopped out of the room.

"One day, he'll stop calling me that." I said, picking up the jacket I threw on my chair.

I slid it onto my shoulders and looked at myself in the mirror, satisfied. I pulled my shoes on and ran out to the main Heartstone area. I saw mom waiting near the doorway, practically jumping up and down. Her eyes lit up even more at the sight of me.

"Juliet!" She exclaimed, running toward me. Halfway, she turned into a black cloud and popped up behind me. "Mi bonita mija."

"Thanks, mom." I squeaked out as she hugged me.

"Do you know what day it is today?"

"Saturday?" I offered.

"Just like your father..." She muttered under her breath. "It's your birthday! We planned a little something for you this time around."

"Really?" I asked, surprise and childish joy filling my eyes. "What is it?"

"If you can find your father."

"Great." I said, starting to look around. "Hide and seek, really?"

"Mhm." She responded.

"I already know where he is."

"Lead the way."

We walked through the crystal pathway towards the center. I occasionally collected crystals that had fallen off the railings. My mother looked at me displeased since I still had some of my childish habits.

"I'm sorry." I shrugged, dropping them. "I can't help myself."

All of a sudden, loud music started playing through the walls. My grandparents popped out from their places and yelled, "Happy birthday!"

"Happy birthday." I heard from behind me.

I turned around to see my dad standing with a box outstretched in his hands. I took it and immediately went for the ribbon holding it's secret, but mom slapped my hand away.

"Not now."

"Why?" I whined.

"Trust me. You'll want to know later." My dad answered.

My parents pulled me by the arm towards my grandparents.

I was immediately swarmed by them and my suspision level went up.

"Are you guys hiding something?"

My mom looked away, leaving my dad to answer me.

"Claire- Then it's up to me. Now, this may come as a huge shock to you, but..."

"Aaarrrggghhh and I are here!" Toby yelled, bursting into the room. They both looked around the growing awkward atmosphere in the room. "Wrong time?" Aaarrrggghhh asked.

"Little bit," Dad told him.

"What were you going to say?"

"How do we put this in the simplest way possible?" Dad dragged out.

"Juliet, you're going to be an older sister."

"What?!"

Word count: 811