15

"Tory, baby, are you still not gonna talk to me?"

Another day of me, pursuing Tory to talk to me. I was standing in front of her room.

This started when we told her that I'm moving out soon. We decided to tell her a bit early because we expected this reaction from her. She's really close to me.

She must be having separation anxiety.

"Baby, can I open the door now?" I asked for permission again. I sighed when she didn't answer me again.

"Tory, will you let me leave without talking to me?" I tried harder.

I was about to turn my back when she opened her door. She looked like she was about to cry. I kneeled in front of her and caressed her face.

"What are you feeling?" I asked her.

"You're breaking my heart, Ate ko." She started sobbing. I pulled her into my arms.

"I'm sorry, baby..." Agad kong alo sa kanya. "Ate's gonna visit naman whenever I can." I reassured her.

Her sobs were getting louder kaya naman binuhat ko siya.

"Mahihirapan kasi ako kapag hindi ako magmove ng house, baby..." Paliwanag ko. "We're living in Quezon City and my school is in Taguig. That's hours away because it's always traffic pa." Paliwanag ko sa kanya.

She was just nodding while crying on my shoulders.

I know my sister is trying to understand.

She's a smart girl.

"I need to move out temporarily to save time. That way, I can be a better doctor. Don't you want that for Ate?"

"W-W-Who's g-gonna w-watch with me?"

"I will still visit whenever I can, baby. Maybe once a week." I told her. "And you can always watch with Mama and Papa naman."

"This is for your future patients, right?" I fought the urge to laugh at her question. I nodded.

"Yes po."

Maya-maya ay unti-unting kumalma na si Tory. She always calms down whenever someone's hugging her.

"Don't be sad na, ha? You can always video call me."

She pouted while nodding. I kissed her cheeks.

--

"Vienne, hija, sigurado ka bang ito lang ang dadalhin mo sa condo mo?"

Tinutulungan akong mag-pack ni Mama at Tita Karen. Hindi kasi ako makagalaw masyado dahil hindi nagpapabitaw sa akin si Tory. Ever since our talk, she became 10x more clingy. She sleeps in my room and hugs me when she wakes up.

I understand. She's anxious. I'm trying to comfort her as much as I can.

Tomorrow is the start of my first semester in Placio Andres University Department of Medicine. Today's my moving out day.

Hindi naman ganoon karami ang dadalhin kong gamit. Mga essentials ko lang sa school and some of my clothes. Hindi masyadong marami kasi may uniform naman ang Placio Andres para sa mga Medical students.

"Bakit kasi hindi nalang kayo nag-same building ni C, hija?" Tita Karen asked.

Napatigil ako saglit.

For some reason, I chose not to live close to Cole— to not get anymore closer.

Being with him just put me more in danger.

We're friends. We're only friends.

Kailangan kong mag-set ng boundaries para sa sarili ko.