19

Papa entered the kitchen and went straight to Mama to hug her from the back and kiss her cheeks.

Parang si Mama ang hindi niya nakita ng ilang linggo dahil inuna niya pa ito.

Pagkatapos hagkan si Mama ay bumaling na ito sa akin para ako naman ang yakapin.

"How's my future Doctora?"

I felt the warmth in my heart when I heard that. It feels good to have someone who believes in you. Especially when you doubt yourself.

"I'm doing fine, Pa." I answered.

"I'm having a hard time believing that," He said. "Especially that I know how you pressure yourself."

He was still hugging me as he talks to me.

"Pa, I'm doing fine." I assured him. "Everything's under control."

"Okay..." Pagsuko nito.

Hindi naman nagtagal si Papa sa kitchen. Pupuntahan niya muna daw si Tory habang tinutulungan ko dito sa kitchen si Mama.

Pag-alis ni Papa ay napabuntong-hininga ulit si Mama.

She's worried about Tita Karen.

I am, too. I am also worried about Cole. He's not in good terms with Tito Collin, to begin with.

"Just why did she have to marry an asshole?" Mom whispered to herself but I heard it.

I grew up watching my parents love each other dearly. People say that time usually lessens the intensity of someone's love, but I don't think it's the same for my parents.

They fight, of course. But I have never seen Papa disrespect Mama and vice versa.

It hurts to think that Cole did not grow up in the same environment that I did. He grew up watching his Mom hurting because of his Dad. He tolerated seeing it at a very young age until he couldn't.

Tita Karen's one of the kindest people I know. She's very bubbly and positive. What did she do to deserve the pain she's experiencing right now?

"Ma..."

"Yes?"

"Is... Dad the first man in your life?" Pagtatanong ko.

She looked at me for a couple of seconds before smiling. "Well, yes, hija." She answered.

I nodded. "How about you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you the first woman in his life?"

I know my Mom's weirded out. It's our first time having this kind of conversation. I just couldn't help but ask.

"No, Vienne. He had girls before me."

Oh.

"Your Dad and I... We met when I was 20." Pag-kkwento niya. "He was 3 years older than me. He had experiences— former babaero 'yan, eh. Ako, I only spend my time with Karen— C's mom."

I nodded.

"Karen didn't like him at first because he had a reputation with girls." Natatawang sabi ni Mama. "Karen's very picky when it comes to men... She wanted the best for us because as she said, we shouldn't settle for less than what we deserve."

Mama sighed.

"Kiko didn't stop pursuing me even when he was constantly receiving eye rolls from Karen... He proved himself to me, Karen, and eventually, my parents." She gave a short laugh before continuing.

"Tinanong ko yung Papa mo kung bakit ako... Ang sinagot niya lang, "kasi ikaw."" Napangiti ako at napa-iling.

Maya-maya, napabuntong-hininga na naman si Mama. "Sa sobrang maingat at mapili ni Karen... Hindi ko pa rin maintindihan kung bakit si Collin..."