Chapter 7

Even though he seemed calm enough now, a small part of Ava was still worried he was silently cooking inside.

"How's your hand?" Mr. Chastain asked after a while, breaking the awkward silence that hung around in his car. She hadn't meant to be bad company, but she just didn't know what to say.

"It's fine, really," she said while keeping her eyes glued to her lap. The bandages were starting to get soaked and she wanted to make sure absolutely no blood fell onto the seat of the car they were in.

It must have cost more than she'll make in ten years. As he sped along the highway she wondered if cars always went so fast. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been in one, usually, she took the bus or, if the distance allowed it, just walked.

"Ava," he suddenly said. His tone sounded serious and made her look up at him. "You know..." he said before drifting off as if he was carefully weighing his next words. "You know I won't get mad at you for dropping things, right? They're just things."

She looked at his eyes and realized he almost looked...hurt?

It was then that it dawned on her he wasn't angry, and he'd never been. She felt guilty for overreacting which in turn made him feel this way. He'd been nothing but nice to her and here she was, thinking the worst of him.

She tried to hold his gaze as best as she could as she whispered in return, "I'm sorry."

He briefly glanced back at the empty road in front of them and she wished he'd kept them on there. But he looked back at her with a sigh. "What are you even sorry about?"

Everything, she thought.

"For acting the way I did. I can see that you're upset, and it's my fault," she replied while looking down on her hands again.

"That's not why I'm upset, Ava. You looked like I was going to hit you," he explained frustratedly. "I wouldn't," he added soflty afterward.

Now she really didn't know how to reply. What should she say? Sorry again? That would be a sure-fire way to piss him off for real. So she just nodded in the hopes that he'd drop the subject, which he thankfully did.

Rain had started to fall outside and she wondered how much longer it would be. They'd been driving for quite some time but they hadn't even entered another town yet. By now, her hand was starting to throb, and every now and then pain would shoot through.

She didn't react to it, though.

The tapping of the raindrops against the windshield of the car made her eyes droopy but she didn't allow herself to sleep. What if she smeared blood on his expensive car in his sleep? She already had so much to feel guilty about and she didn't need that added to it.

After a few more heavy minutes a town finally came into sight and shortly thereafter the hospital as well. Mr. Chastain quickly parked the car and got out, making Ava stare at her seatbelt. What would be the best way to undo it without staining it? She hadn't made up her mind yet when her door swung open.

He blinked up at her a few times before seemingly understanding her predicament. He stepped forward while leaning over her to release the buckle.

"Come on," he urged while gently grabbing her elbow to help steady her wobbly legs. Together, they walked through the entrance and towards the ER. Upon looking at her hands again in the bright hospital lights it became clear the bandages wouldn't hold for much longer.

"Good morning, what's the patient's name?" a female nurse with greying hair asked them as they walked up to her. "Ava," Mr. Chastain answered as they reached the counter. "And what might be the emergency?"