Chapter 11

Quiet humming filled the room Ava worked in as she couldn't get the flowing melodies out of her mind. She made sure no one would hear her over the sound of the vacuum cleaner and stopped when she turned it off.

From the small bucket of supplies, she grabbed a duster and set to work in the lavish guest room. Since these rooms were cleaned weekly, there wasn't much to clean but it had to be done regardless. After looking around the room one last time she determined it to be as clean as it was going to be before gathering the supplies in her arms.

She opened the door carefully so she wouldn't stop anything but still almost did when she came face to face with Mr. Chastain. She managed to hold in her surprised gasp and hoped surprise wouldn't show on her face.

"Hi, Ava," he casually greeted. "How's it going?"

"Good afternoon, Mr. Chastain," she politely greeted back. "I'm doing well, thank you. How are you?"

"I'm good. I wanted to call you to ask if you wanted a ride to town next Friday, but I realized I don't have your number."

Fridays were her day off and the day she'd go into town to meet with Everly. It was nice that he wanted to take her to town but she didn't want to explain how she didn't have a phone and have him think she was weird. But she also didn't want to lie, what would she say? 'No Mr. Chastain, you may not have my number'? That would be worse.

"I don't have a phone," she admitted quietly. She knew everyone had one these days and it would be weird not to have one. Even a flip phone would be more acceptable than not having one at all.

The answer seemed to surprise him, and he didn't reply for a while. He just stared at her blankly and she felt her face grow hot from the scrutiny. "Why not?" he asked after a while. His voice didn't give anything away but she knew he was silently judging her for it. Everyone always did.

"I don't have anyone to call," she replied blankly. She'd be lying if she said that it didn't hurt to admit. Somehow she could ignore the fact she was alone in this world as long as she didn't have to say it. Everyone had someone, but she couldn't think of a single person to add to her phone.

"I'm sure that isn't true," he replied seriously. But he couldn't know, she hadn't told him much about herself because if she would have, he'd know.

She appreciated the gesture, though, as she realized he was just being nice about it. With a small smile, she directed the conversation elsewhere. "I'd appreciate it if you would give me a ride to town this Friday?"

He didn't look ready to let the conversation go and she almost thought he would keep asking about it. But he didn't. Instead, he shifted his weight into a lazy pose and leaned against the wall. After a few seconds, he nodded. "Alright."

"Thank you," she replied. Not just for agreeing but also for letting it go. He nodded again before pushing himself off the wall to walk away, leaving her alone with her thoughts.

It surprised her to see how easy he would let things go, especially since people often were so nosy they'd keep asking her all these questions while unknowingly humiliating her. She didn't have much, but she had her pride. It hurt to have that stomped on.

She watched his retreating figure for a moment longer before realizing what she'd agreed to. Another ride alone with him in his car. Friday was still a few days away but nerves were already starting to build up in her stomach at the thought.

But he actually made an effort to offer her a ride to town, which was very thoughtful of him. She hadn't quite realized it because she had been too focused on her not having a phone.