Chapter 23

The party had started later than she'd anticipated it would. After dinner, there was plenty of time for her to shower and pick out her outfit and since she didn't want to look like she tried too hard but she also didn't want to look unkempt, she really needed that extra time. In the end, she chose a cute black dress that somewhat resembled her uniform back at the estate, except that the skirt was shorter and the front was cut a lot lower.

She decided to keep her hair down but pinned the front strands back so they wouldn't fall in her face. There wasn't much to say for makeup; she just didn't have any.

Justin's steak dinner hadn't been all that bad and she appreciated having a home-cooked meal for the first time in a while. He'd cooked some peas from a can as well, but had burnt them because he was too busy talking to a girl on his phone and hadn't noticed that all the water had evaporated.

Both guys had changed outfits too but she hadn't seen Justin arrive with anything, making her suspect he'd either borrowed Sébastien's or just took them. They looked good, both wore fitted jeans but where Sébastien had chosen a white T-shirt Justin had picked a light blue dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

The way Sébastien's muscles would stretch under his skin every time he moved enchanted Ava and she had to actually focus in order to not get caught staring at him. The shirt fit him very well and showed off his fit body in the process.

The first people to arrive were a group of three men and one woman. Sébastien had introduced them to Ava as Philip, Sam, Steven, and Elena. The guys had greeted her politely before walking towards the kitchen to talk to Justin while Elena stuck behind to talk to Sébastien and Ava.

The latter couldn't help but admire the beauty in front of her. Her long brown hair was styled to perfection with long curls falling down her back. Her dark skin seemed to radiate and her makeup was subtle yet still highlighted the natural beauty of her face.

They exchanged some words and Sébastien walked off, making Elena fully turn towards Ava who had to pretend like she hadn't been staring at her for the last five minutes.

"I'm so glad you're already here," she started with a smile. "I was afraid I'd get here and would have had to spend the first hours of the night with these guys," she finished while pointing at the men far off behind them.

Her English accent made her sound even more charming than she already was and Ava wished she had even a fragment of her charm.

"I know what you mean, I had to spend the whole afternoon with them," Ava fake sighed dramatically, causing Elena to laugh. "You poor thing," she gushed. "Come on, let's get a drink to forget your horrendous day."

"Oh um, I don't drink," Ava replied awkwardly while staying rooted in her spot.

"Aw, come on," Elena drawled while hooking her arm through Ava's. " You're going to need one if you want to enjoy this night, especially with some of the people I know are coming too," she explained while pulling Ava with her to the table with all the drinks.

Ava threw a look back at the kitchen to look for Sébastien but he was laughing and talking with his friends. "I'll tell you what, I'll make it extra tasty for you. You look like you like fruity drinks so this will be perfect for you."

The drink she made turned out pink and came from a bottle one of them had brought with them as Ava didn't recognize it. It did smell good, but she still eyed the drink skeptically since she really didn't want to drink.

She didn't know how she'd react to it and feared the possibilities. It wouldn't kill her, but it scared her nonetheless.

Elena made one for herself as well and turned back with an excited smile. "Here's to us," she toasted before taking a large gulp of the drink, making Ava eye hers again. "Come on, Ava," Elena whined after seeing she hadn't taken a dip yet. "It won't kill you, I promise."