Chapter 27

-Friendly reminder that reading this story on InkItt helps me tremendously! Please check this story out over there if you want to support me! Also chapter 28 is already on there-

The air hitting her face wasn't as painful as it had been before, signaling the end of the winter. Spring would soon arrive and Ava couldn't wait to see all the trees and flowers bloom again. Thoughts of what Central Park would look like during the spring filled her head, almost making her forget the man next to her.

Sébastien was casually walking with his hands in his pockets, only taking them out every now and then to point at something and tell her about it. It was fun, she noted to herself.

They were having fun, together.

"When do you think you'll go back to the estate?" Ava asked after a moment of silence. It was a question that had been bugging her for a while not and the greenery around them reminded her of the estate, making her miss the place.

"Why? You don't like New York?"

"It's... Nice," she replied, struggling to find the right words. She had forced herself to give the cityscape a chance, but it hadn't worked. It just wasn't for her and being surrounded by skyscrapers on all sides made her feel trapped, even when outside.

"You don't have to lie, I know it's not what you're used to," he replied while looking at the looming skyline that had reappeared as they neared the end of the park. "But I really don't know when I'll be finished here. But if you want to go back, you can."

The last part was added afterward in a much softer tone, almost as if it was an afterthought he didn't really want to share.

"No, it's fine. I mean, who's going to heat up the chicken soup when I'm gone?" she said, causing him to laugh.

A genuine laugh, a carefree one where he made no attempt to stifle it or be quieter than he wanted to be. She couldn't help but smile along while admiring his stunning smile. Why wasn't he like this more often, she wondered.

There was something about him, a wall that he'd put up that didn't allow people to see the real him. The emotions he did express were calculated and shielded, making it nearly impossible to know what he really thought about something.

She wondered if something had happened to make him this way, or if he'd always been like this. It was hard to imagine him as a child since he towered over her and his rugged face was nothing but manly.

"I'm glad you're here," he said after a while and she wasn't sure if he was still building on the chicken soup joke or if he meant something else there. "It's only eleven," he said suddenly, coming to a stop.

Only now she noticed they had reached the end of the park and were almost back at the apartment again, much to her disappointment. She wasn't ready to go back yet and tried to think of things to say to prolong their walk, but in the end, it was Sébastien who had an idea.

"I know a place I think you'll like, if you want me to show you?" he said, making her heart beat faster from the hope that he felt the same way and wanted to spend time with her too.

Or maybe he just wants to enjoy his weekend, and you're only allowed to come with him because he feels bad for you, a voice in her head told her.

"What kind of place?" she asked carefully, noting his vagueness.

"That's a surprise."

"I won't be if you tell me, so go ahead."

"No, I think I'll keep it this way," he replied smugly. "Come on, we'll need to take the subway."

"Is it far away?" she asked after they'd started walking again and he shook his head. "It isn't that far but I'm also not willing to walk for a few hours."