Chapter 17

The darkness made it hard to see around her, but there was no mistaking the large skyscrapers that suddenly started replacing the cosy looking homes around them.

Like giants they loomed over everyone and everything and the closer they got, the more claustrophobic she started feeling. The low car didn't allow her to even see the sky anymore, even when she craned her neck in a weird angle.

Everywhere she looked was a mix of concrete and glass and she realized the city wasn't what it had been made out to be. She'd never seen anything like it before and she longed to see the familiar sight of green woodlands.

To their left, a fire truck came flying by. Its lights illuminated everything around it and the sirens replaced the hectic sounds of the city. As soon as it had passed the honking of cars returned and somewhere close she heard two people yelling.

There was so much to hear and see she didn't know what to focus on anymore. Even though it was a little late, the city was still bustling.

"What do you think?" he asked suddenly when they were waiting for a light to turn green. It pulled her from her thoughts as she turned to look at his expectant face.

"It's um, very city-like," she replied. It was the best she could do at the moment without flat-out lying, hoping she wouldn't insult him.

To her surprise, he just laughed. "I hate it too," he threw out. "If everything goes well we'll be gone soon. Or so I hope, at least."

"I thought you said you loved cities because no one would bother you."

"Everything has its pros and cons," he replied while driving off at the green light. "In this case, the con is the environment. We're almost there."

At that, she started looking outside again. She could still see little more than high-rise buildings but at least he'd said they wouldn't be there for too long. And who knows? Maybe it just needed a little getting used to.

The car suddenly made a turn and entered an underground parking garage. It was filled with cars similar to Mr. Chastain's and it occurred to her that these apartments probably cost more to rent each month than she made in a year.

He parked a car in a spot marked with '331' and killed the engine before turning to her. "I need you to keep these on you when you go out," he said while fishing a bunch of keys from his pocket. "Do you have a driver's license?"

"No," she replied, curious of the reason he'd asked.

"Alright, then you won't need these," he said while taking two keys off the ring. While she didn't have much knowledge of cars, she knew that one of the keys was undoubtedly a car key. After looking down at the center console of the car she concluded it was the key to this car in particular.

Was he seriously considering letting her drive in a car that was worth more than she'd ever made in her life?

"This one is for the lobby, this one for the elevator, and this one is for the front door," he explained before handing over the remaining keys. She took them and noted they looked brand new, making her question whether he'd gotten new ones or if he just had never shared them before.

"Thank you," she replied while taking them before following him out of the car. When the car door didn't open like she'd expected she jumped before remembering it opened upwards. Luckily she'd remembered the way he had closed it before so she could copy that before following him to the elevator.

"It's on the eighty-third floor," he explained before pressing inserting the key and pressing the button.

"That's a lot of floors," Ava commented." It's one of the upper floors, so it doesn't go much higher than that," he explained, as if that made her think it wasn't quite as tall.