Chapter 32

It was a good thing he had offered to drive her to the library, as the rain had come out of nowhere and didn't seem to be in a rush to stop anytime soon. The large drops hitting the windshield of the car made for a relaxing sound and Ava was sure she'd drift to sleep if it hadn't been for the large hand holding her thigh.

It took everything in her to sit still while a dozen different emotions coursed through her body. His hand was so close to her private parts, yet it wasn't. The tingling sensation from the feeling of his hand on her thigh certainly did reach those parts and she wasn't sure he was aware of the effects the action had on her.

She shifted in her seat to cover up the fact she wanted to close her thighs further in an attempt to make the feeling go away. His eyes shifted over to her for only a moment before looking back at the road. Did he know? She hoped not. It would embarrass her even more.

It was bad enough that she was getting horny from a hand on her thigh, no need to make it worse.

There was a song playing on the radio. She didn't recognize the fast beats and repeated lyrics at all but the song didn't feel like it fit the mood in the car. So, she clung to that song trying to empty her mind and forget the hand that was starting to make her feel so good for reasons she didn't quite get.

He only let go of her thigh when they reached the edge of town and he needed both hands to shift gears and she instantly missed the feeling. It was strange, the feeling had made it hard to sit still but now that it was gone she longed for it to return.

The car came to a halt right in front of the library and Ava moved to unbuckle her seatbelt when Sébastien called out. "Ava," he said, making her turn to face him again.

When she did, he moved forward to lean over the center console to gently brush his lips against hers. It was over before she could register what had happened and she was left staring at him wide-eyed.

"Call me when you're done," he said with a smile, seemingly amused at her reaction.

"O-okay, see you," she replied, immediately feeling stupid because of the lame reaction she had. After practically fleeing the car she powerwalked to the entrance before hearing the low engine of Sébastien's car roar to life as he drove away.

Mentally, she hit herself over the head. She really had to get some better lines. 'Okay, see you', seriously, Ava? She thought to herself. Maybe the library had books on flirting because she definitely wasn't a natural.

The librarian wasn't in her usual spot and Ava briskly walked over to where she met with Everly every week. She smiled when her friend came into sight but when she came closer she found her with wide eyes and gaping mouth staring at Ava.

"What's wrong?" Ava asked worriedly. Maybe she was angry they hadn't had a book club in a few weeks because she'd been to New York but the reaction was off. It didn't look like anger but she also didn't know what it was.

"Was that Sébastien Chastain kissing you in the car?" Everly half yelled, half whispered with her eyes still wide and on Ava. The reaction suddenly made sense to her, she just hadn't expected Everly to see that from the flyer-filled windows.

After all, Ava didn't know herself why someone like him would want to kiss her of all people.

"Yes," she replied tentatively, scared of Everly's reaction. But instead of judging Ava for this, a huge smile spread across her face.

"No way," she said in awe. "But I thought he was your boss?"

"Well, he still is. Kind of. But we're also together now."

"He's making you work even though you're his girlfriend?" Everly replied angrily.

"No! No, he offered to take care of me but I didn't want that. I can't sit and do nothing all day and my life's fine the way it is now, I promise."

"Oh, alright then," she replied, already sounding calmer than before. "Good thing Jane abandoned the book club as soon as you left, or else she would go mental hearing this."

"Why?"

"Why? You didn't notice? She only came to try to get closer to Sébastien through you. She barely talked about anything other than him."

"Oh," Ava said while thinking back to their conversations. It did make sense. "I hadn't noticed."

"Obviously," Everly said, rolling her eyes. "Is this why he took you to New York City?"

"I don't think so, nothing happened over there." Ava knew the last part was a lie, plenty had happened but she simply wasn't willing to share. "He kissed me shortly after we came back."

"Aww," Everly cooed. "Ava and Sébastien sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

"Stop it," Ava pleaded with red cheeks. There was no reason for the whole town to hear it.

Ava and Sébastien.

Their names together did sound good and she repeated it in her head, over and over again. It was still hard to grasp for her, thinking the universe was going to play a cruel joke and separate them at the worst possible time.

But at least they were together now, at this moment.

"Um, earth to Ava?" a voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

"What?"

"You zoned out," Everly replied with a mischievous smirk. "You were thinking about him, weren't you?"

"Was not."

"You're lying, I can see your face grow red," Everly said, howling with laughter.

"Shut up," Ava murmured while pressing her hands to her cheeks to cover up the redness. She knew it was already too late, but she hoped that Everly would at least stop looking at her.

"Never," the other girl promised her enthusiastically.

"I thought we were supposed to discuss books?"

"Yes, but this is infinitely more fun than that."

"Not for me."

"Boohoo, I'm ava and I kissed the most handsome guy in town, maybe even the world, and now I can't stop thinking about him."

The bad impression Everly did of her made Ava burst out into laughter and soon after Everly followed. Tears streamed from Everly's eyes as she doubled over, making Ava laugh even harder at the sight of it.

"I hope I must not remind you girls that this is a library," Miss Jones's said while popping her head around the corner to scold them. Their laughter quickly died out at the light scolding from the librarian and Everly quickly spoke up.

"I'm sorry, Miss Jones. We'll be quiet, I promise."

Satisfied with the answer, the woman left again, leaving the two girls in silence. Until they made eye contact and burst out in a fit of quiet giggles.

Ava only hoped it was quiet enough to not warrant another visit from the librarian, as they didn't do well with being scolded.

"Stop laughing," Everly whispered while giggling, making Ava shake her head. "No, you first."

"I can't," the other girl admitted.

"Me neither."

"Okay, we'll stop at three.

One

Two

Three."

They managed to be silent for exactly two seconds before the giggles started again and decided to give up. Ava couldn't remember the last time she'd laughed so much, if she ever had. Having a friend changed those things and she felt lucky to be able to call Everly one.

--------------------------

Friendship goals! What's your opinion of Everly?

And let me know what you thought of this chapter!

Chapter 38 is up on my Patreon at patreon.com/mayskyfire!

See you next week,

xx May