五 : confused

" though i try to resist,
i still want it all "
__________

"riki!" the energetic girl caught up to the tall boy who didn't hesistant one bit. "hey why aren't you waiting for me." she puffed whilst walking beside him.

"you were going to catch up anyways." his unfazed expression reflected upon his words.

"whatever. since we're getting our marks back, if i beat you, you'll be my partner for the upcoming dance?" yui smiled proudly.

"i don't go to such events." he declined the offer.

"deal? okay!" she ignored his words and skipped to class.

perhaps yui was beyond confident with herself from their recent japanese exam. she stayed up until 4 am to revise all her notes and made sure everything was right.

×

as the teacher spoke about the class's overall report, yui couldn't wait any longer knowing victory was hers.

"someone in our class scored 100%." mrs monosaki annouced.

as if it was reflex, nearly everyone faced them. as expected, they were always topping the class.

"it's either nishimura or kimura." one muttered to her friend.

"gosh if only i was a mura. I'd be so smart." he laughed in return.

the anticipation was creeping inside her, first place belonged to her this time.

"congratulations..."

or so she thought.

"nishimura riki!" the teacher signalled the class to clap as riki nodded. as he got up to collect his perfectly graded paper, he made sure to give her a look.

a subtle look of true victory.

"second place with 99% goes to kimura yui!" mrs monosaki cheered.

it wasn't her mark. although she should be happy with her results, she felt quite humiliated. to her, nothing was worst than being confident in something but then it goes wrong.

as she was about to return back to her seat, her eyes met his.

now she's lost the chance.

the chance she thought would bring them closer to each other.

she just wanted them to get to know each other more.

why?

she didn't know either.

was it because she likes him,

or the fact she felt safe around him?

"congratulations, miss second place." he sarcastically congratulated.

without any replies like usual, she took a deep breath and decided to ignore her.

for once, she chose to stay low.

slightly turning to fulfil his curiosity, he saw the quiet girl with her head buried in her arms, over her paper.

"yui." he subconsciously whispered out.

for the first time in a while, the confident boy was confused.

oh, the fool yui was.

[ ♡ ]

smile, take care.

- luv, luna 🌙