十 : wait

" only fools fall for you,
only fools fall "
_____________

"hello?" he answered the phone after the 5 miss calls.

The miss calls he hasn't seen in quite awhile.

"riki...it's me. how have you been?" the strange yet nostalgic voice on the other end spoke wearily.

"mom." he dryly replied as he sat himself down on his bed.

it was almost 10:46 PM and so he wondered why it was now his mother decided to ring in.

"i miss you so much dear." his mother sighed on the other line.

me too. he wanted to say but couldn't bring himself to. despite wishing so long to see his mother again, not once did she try to be the one to see him. after years of building his walls, he refused to fall back into the dark hole. it wasn't his fault anyway.

she left them first.

she left him first.

"hm." he responded.

for the first few minutes, she asked him about school and all but later on, he was beginning to get tired. for all he knew, she had a motive.

"mom. what is it?" he got straight to point.

"what do you mean? i just miss you so much and-"

but he cut her off

"you don't." he muttered. before she could defend herself, he continued speaking on. "why are you calling me so late at night?"

"honey i just-"

"if there isn't anything, i'm hanging up. i have to wake up early tomorrow." he warned. no matter how much he missed him, he knew she did not feel the same.

if she did, she would be here with him right now.

not miles away.

"riki wait!"
and so she finally gave in.

"what?"

"sweetie please don't be upset but," she took a cautious sigh. "I'm getting remarried in 3 months. i would like for you to come down and attend it. please."

silence struck. it wasn't anything awkward or comforting but, it was silence where one hoped to disappear.

"what?" he scoffed as his only coping mechanism. "not once have you visited to see me even though you claim to miss me, you only ever call once a year, don't think i don't know you make dad pay for everything whilst you lived a free life. do you really expect me to forgive and forget and attend your wedding to which you would probably tell me to call that man step-father?"

"riki. i know it's selfish of me but-"

"but what? you really think i would betray dad to attend your wedding only to be left alone after that event? you may as well have your own family and forget about us." his volume was now getting louder. it was his only way to keep his voice steady.

"riki! that's not how you speak to your mother." her patients was now lost.

"oh really? i never knew since you never really taught me." he spoke sarcastically forcing his threatening tears to not leave his eyes.

"i've raised you until you were-" and then her words stopped.

time sure flies.

"let's say you were home all the time and raised me. but you left on my 7th birthday. guess how old i am now. 17." he scoffed once again. it really hurts him. "you left a decade ago. wanted to do nothing with me so fine, i will let you be. have fun at your wedding."

and so, he hung up.

he hated it.

he hated how he argued with his mother. despite her absence, she was his safe place.

he hated how she left them on his birthday where his dad had to lie to him about her only going on a business trip until riki himself found out the truth only days later. it was true his parents fought a lot due to disagreements but it was his dad who always stayed with him when he could've been left alone like the way his mother did. his father worked hard to support the them two and refused to see anyone in case riki would feel unease.

he felt bad for him.

if only he wasn't here so his father would too, be free.

suddenly, his phone began ringing again. already feeling frustrated as he can be, he knew it was going to be his mother dialing him back after being hung up.

"i told you. leave me out of this. it's not like you care anyway." his stern and cold tone rushed his words.

or so he thought . . .

just as he was about to hang up, a gentle, calm and comforting voice spoke.

"riki?" she said.

[ ♡ ]

i got my maths exam result back and really thought i was going to go horribly wrong due to our class's low average. however . . .

21/22
hehe :>

did i study? naur
did i wing it? yessire ~
i call this genius moment

- luv, luna 🌙