What If Chapter 16: The Friends

Kaneki and Y/N look at Kanou. "Doctor Kanou," Kaneki said before looking at the tank that held Rize.

Y/N looks at him and then looked at his new bikaku kagune. He looks back up at Kanou and asks "what the hell do you mean 'gift'?"

"You made it all the way here so I see no reason to hide the truth any longer," he told the One-Eyed Ghouls. "Both of you are my finest of creations. Especially you Y/N. I specifically gave you something rather risky, but powerful. By eating another's kagune, you can then gain theirs. While also still keeping the ones you already had."

"Wh-what?" Y/N retorted.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Kanou asked him.

"You are using Rize to create more ghouls. Why?" Kaneki asked him.

"Why do you think that tamed birds don't freely roam the skies?" Kanou responded. "It's because their bird cages are not of their own making. That also begs the question, who was the one that made this world's cage?"

"What is he talking about?" Kaneki thought.

"And I realized that this twisted world's birdcage is holding our world back. And it is because of this, I want to break free from it and ghouls are the perfect tool to break free out of this cage of ours," he told them. "And not just any kind of ghouls. One-Eyed Ghouls."

"Birdcage, blah, blah, blah," Kaneki replied. "It's just a bunch of bullshit and excuses for turning Y/N and I into this."

"I am a doctor. The fact that I saved your lives hasn't changed," Kanou replied.

Kaneki turns his hand into a fist and tells him "you have no idea what kind of life I have been forced to live. You're no doctor... you're a fucking psycho!!!"

"Call me what you wish, but I helped Y/N become what he always meant to be," Kanou retorted.

"The fuck you mean by that?" Y/N asked him.

"It's simple really when you think about it. You were never meant to be a human Y/N. Your RC cell count has always been extremely high and you were forced to use drugs to help keep your RC cell count down. But now as a ghoul, you have no worries and your RC cell count now helps you. And you managed to successfully have that risky test with no issues. You were never meant to be human and I helped you become what you are meant to be," Kanou explained to him.

"You really are a fucking psycho," Y/N retorted.

Kanou chuckles. "Why don't I make you two an offer?" he asked the One-Eyed ghouls.

"What kind of offer?" Kanaeki asked him.

"Come with me to Aogiri," he replied. "If you intend to live as a ghoul, being separate from other ghouls would only make you enemies. But together, you'll be reliable allies."

"You're bat shit insane if you think we'd take an offer like that," Y/N told him.

"Indeed," Kaneki agreed.

"Allow me to rephrase then," Kanou said, collecting his thoughts. "Join me. I will show both of you the true form of this world."

"True form?" Kaneki questioned.

"That's right," Kanou replied. "The hidden truth. You might change your mind upon seeing it. For example, the one behind the creation of the Aogiri Tree is none other than the ghoul named Yoshimura."

"WHAT?!" Kaneki questioned.

"You lie!!!" Y/N snapped.

"Join me and you will see. You will see the world as it truly is," Kanou told them. "And how beautiful it can be."