To The Rescue

Lawrence was behind his desk at the Mayor's office. The pack normally calls it the den, as it's the place where everything is settled. He was working on some pack stuff when the double doors to Lawrence's office burst open. Lynn stormed in with Ronin behind her. The both of them were glaring at him.

"WHERE IS SHE!?" Ronin growled.

"Where is who?" Lawrence asked without looking up from his paperwork.

"NICOLE!!!" Ronin rushed to the desk and slammed his hands down. "WHERE...IS... SHE!?"

"She's being interrogated by someone I could trust." Lawrence paused his work to glare up at the angry Ronin.

"Darling... Please... you don't know what you're doing." Lynn cautiously approached her mate.

"I think I do." Lawrence looked at Lynn. "You were the one who told me to go over to Ronin's and see how things were going. Your intuition was spot on... as usual."

"You misinterpreted everything." Lynn tried to explain. "I wanted you to go over there to see how happy Ronin was with Nicole, not to arrest her for knowing our secret."

"YOU KNEW!?" Lawrence stood abruptly, causing his chair to fall backwards.

"I had a feeling. When I held her hands in the hospital I felt her pain, fear, and her curiosity. You know that I may not be a wolf, like you, but I am a witch. She seemed to accept Ronin, his secret, and our town with open arms and a open heart. All she wants is a home, a family, and a place that will treat her like a person. What you are doing is wrong." Lynn reached out to her mate.

"I'm not so sure that I'm not. She lied to us." Lawrence turned to Ronin. "You can't tell me that you didn't react when you found out that she knew about your work?"

Ronin flinched remembering what he'd done. "I did..."

"Lawrence..." Lynn didn't want this to go further.

"NO... Ronin, tell me what happened when she told you the truth." Lawrence yelled.

"You don't have to answer him." Lynn pleaded with Ronin to not answer.

"Yes, I do." Ronin took a deep breath. "I held her by the throat and squeezed a little."

"See..." Lawrence looked to Lynn. "Why didn't you kill her? Protect our kind?"

"She told me the truth without prompting her. She came clean, told me she was sorry, and that if I had to kill her she wouldn't argue. I had her by the throat, ready to do it, but she didn't fight. She closed her eyes to me. Ready to die to protect our secret." Ronin stood firm to his Alpha.

"Ronin..." Lynn pitied the man.

"I couldn't do it. I knew she had already made her way into my heart before she came clean. I was more angry that she lied than about it being our secret. It was difficult for me and took a little while, but she had good intentions to why she lied." Ronin finished then sat in the chair facing the Alpha's desk.

"So then tell me..." Lawrence lean over the desk. "How come she came forward so easily with the fact that she lied?"

"She wanted to become part of the community. Trustworthy. So she came clean with the fact that she knew our secret, why we didn't like outsiders, and told me that she realized that keeping the secret was stupid. She thought if she kept it, it would prove she was trustworthy. She didn't want to lie to me... to us anymore." Ronin leaned his elbows on his legs as he lowered his head.

"Lawrence... Ronin loves her and I'm positive that she loves him. She would never do anything to harm him, us, or this pack. The Goddess brought her here for a reason and who are we to question that." Lynn rubbed Lawrence's back. "Please... tell us where she is."

Lawrence picked his chair back up and sat back down. Looking from Lynn to Ronin, he knew he had to tell them. He just didn't like being lied to. Nor did he like being on the outside looking in on his own pack. This wasn't what he expected to happen when he brought Nicole back to the den.

"She's downstairs." Lawrence sighed in defeat. "Conner is downstairs with her.

"WHAT!?" Ronin roared so loud it startled everyone.

"What's wrong?" Lynn worried.

"Conner has a weird obsession with Nicole. Last night at the party, he tried to force Nicole into...." Ronin yelled, not finishing his thought, as he raced out of the office.

Lawrence and Lynn followed Ronin out. Rushing down the stairs, they made it to the basement. Through the door, they came to a room with what looks like small cells. On the other side of the room was another door. The door had frosted glass and they could see there was a light on from the other side.

As they crossed the room, they heard a scream. Ronin didn't hesitate before busting through the frosted glass. Conner was inside standing over Nicole, who was cowering in the corner. Her hands were bound together and her shirt was ripped. On several parts of her body, there was red marks and wounds that were bleeding.

Ronin couldn't hold in his anger and shifted. Ripping his clothes into shreds. His large, black wolf lunged at Conner. Ready to tear him to pieces. Conner shifted into his wolf. A large, blonde wolf prepared for Ronin's attack. 

The two wolves went after each other in a frenzy of rage. The room wasn't big enough for this. Lawrence shifted into his brown wolf with a graying muzzle to try and get the two men to calm down. Lynn, on the other hand, rushed over to Nicole. Helping her to her feet, they tried to quickly exit the room before the three large wolves ended up hurting them, unintentionally.

"We need to get you out of here. Follow me." Lynn helped Nicole to her feet, but Nicole flinched. "What's wrong?"

"My leg. It hurts." Nicole tried again to stand, avoiding the injured leg. "Conner shoved me hard into this room. I ended up hitting the table hard and flipping over it."

"Lean on me. We have to go... NOW!" Lynn got Nicole set to help her out of the building.

Lynn pulled Nicole through the cell room towards the stairs. It wasn't as fast as she would have liked, but Lynn was afraid to overstress Nicole's injured leg. The blonde wolf rushed towards them, but the black wolf wouldn't relent. This was becoming more dangerous every second. They needed to get out into the open. It was the only safe place for people like them.

"For the first time, I wish I was a werewolf." Lynn tried to make a joke.

Nicolle looked scared. "You're not?"

Lynn laughed as she tried getting the injured Nicole up the stairs. "I'm a witch. Not a wolf. Welcome to the pack."

Nicole chuckled dryly. The stairs were hard, but she powered through them. Luckily the door to the outside was only up one flight. The build was two stories with a basement, but the stairs were only in one spot. Right between the doors to the floor or the doors to the outside.

"Don't stop. We need to get out of their way." Lynn stated as they made the halfway mark.

Nicole nodded. She heard claws on the marble floor. Taking a second to look, she saw Conner approaching. Trying to use the railing to move faster. she was afraid he was going to catch them. Which would mean that she would get Lynn hurt, inadvertently. 

A howl was heard, and Ronin's black wolf jumped on Conner's wolf back. causing them to roll back down the stairs to the basement. This action gave her and Lynn enough time to make it the rest of the way up the stairs. Now to get out the heavy set of doors to the street.