This Is Love

The week in the hospital was the hardest for Nicole. After the second day, Ronin was allowed to leave, but he stayed because he wasn't going anywhere Nicole wasn't. This was the first time that Nicole really felt loved and welcomed.

Lynn came by every day to talk and help Nicole, as well as Ronin, with what was discovered. Nicole worried that Ronin would run, but he was proud. Proud that the little woman who showed up out of the blue, turned her neck towards him, and apologized for nothing more than existing, was such an amazing Witch. 

Given the all clear by the doctors, Ronin took Nicole back to his little cottage in the woods. The air around them was different. Nicole knew it was because she realized what love was and what she had with Ronin. It didn't change who she was, though. She still wanted to open up the bakery. Just now, she didn't know if she should find a place of her own or if Ronin wanted her to stay with him. It was time to talk about it.

"Ronin..." Nicole sighed as she sat on the couch. "We need to talk."

Ronin walked over to sit between her legs, on the floor. "Should I be worried?"

"I don't believe so..." Nicole began to run her fingers through his hair. "I just need to know a few things."

"About what?" Ronin leaned his head back to look up at her. 

"About everything, I guess." Nicole looked into his beautiful dual-colored eyes. "First, I know my 30-day period might be over sooner than expected, but we are going to need to talk with Lawrence first. I know he's been wanting to talk with us but hasn't since I've been in the infirmary."

"I set up a time to see him tomorrow. Don't you worry about that." Ronin smiled as he closed his eyes.

Nicole watched as the man she loved enjoyed her stroking his hair. "Second, I'm hoping to talk with him about opening up that bakery still. It's something I can't seem to get out of my mind ever since I realized it's what I want to do most. I've never had a dream before and I'm not about to let this one go, anytime soon."

With his eyes still closed, Ronin groaned. "I wouldn't want you to. It's what you love to do most and I, for one, won't be the one standing in your way. I want to be the one that most supports you. Besides, many of us wolves love your baking. If Lawrence says no, I'm sure he'll have a riot on his hands."

Nicole giggles. "Lastly... I'll need to find somewhere to stay."

Ronin eyes shot open. He pulled away from Nicole's fingers to look her squarely in the eyes. One of his hands on each side of her, caging her body in. His stare was fierce and yet worried at the same time. Nicole did not expect that.

"You don't want to live here?" Ronin almost sounded sad.

"I..." Nicole felt embarrassed. "I didn't want you to think you had to house me anymore. In the world outside these walls, those who start dating don't necessarily live together right off the bat. They take their time to get to know one another, make the decision to move in together. Sometimes things don't work out. I just didn't want you to think just because you said you loved me that you had to keep me here. That I'm okay if you want your space again. I know that's what you wanted since I got here."

Ronin leaned in and kissed Nicole, only for a moment, before pulling away. "This is not the outside world. Us wolves are more family oriented than the humans are. More loyal too. When I told you that I loved you, that's it for me. It's you or no one. We choose a mate, and we mate for life. There's no 'not working out' when it comes to us. Yes, we might fight or not agree on things, but that doesn't mean I stop loving you. It just means that we are two different people trying to live our lives together the best way we can. I will never belittle you and I will never hurt you. I'd rather die than for you to ever think for one second that you are not my entire world."

Nicole felt a tear run down her cheek. This man that she loved was more than she could have ever hoped for. Ronin, a man who didn't want her around came to love her with his whole being. A man who could have killed her when she told him the truth about knowing his secret, instead he held her through her nightmares of the life before him. A man, that despite his attempts to keep her at a distance, came to see the beauty she still had under all of her scars.

Ronin wiped the tear away as Nicole leaned into his hand. "I love you."

Ronin inhaled. "What did you say?"

"I said... I love you, Ronin." Nicole smiled with tears in her eyes. "I realized that these feelings I've been having for you, almost since I met you, is love. It's what love is supposed to feel like. It's what allowed my powers to awaken. It was your love for me and my love for you that showed me how strong I really am."

Ronin couldn't hold himself back. He lunged at Nicole, pinning her on the couch. Immediately, he started to kiss her face softly. Causing Nicole to giggle as each kiss tickled. When he got closer to her lips, the playfulness of their action turned to passion.

Ronin captured Nicole's lips. Firmly holding his own against hers as if at any second they would disappear. He snaked his hand around her neck to hold her nape. He was afraid she would break the connection. Instead, she slowly lets her tongue out between her lips to swipe it against Ronin. The shock of her forwardness caused him to pull back to look at her.

"Careful babe..." Ronin devilish smiled. "If you're so forward with me, I might think you're trying to seduce me."

Nicole looked over every inch of his face before landing back on his eyes. "Maybe I am."

Ronin looked a little shocked. "I... I don't..."

Nicole stood up and laced her fingers within his. Pulling him along with her as she made her way to the bedroom. She might have been ready to give herself to him, but she needed to divulge everything first. Then she was all his.