Chapter 28

The first weekend Charlie let me go to the Cullen's residence only because they had visited on Thursday to apologize for the trouble and stress they had caused Charlie to have. They were panicked and scared of losing Edward and he wasn't listening.

I applauded the performance in silence. Hating that they were spinning the truth a little too much into a lie for comfort. I understood the importance of lying for them. I didn't have a problem with their lying per se. i just wished it wasn't Charlie that we were pulling the wool over.   Edward had told them what i told Charlie and they worked from there. 

Charlie appreciated their apologies and accepted their words of gratitude towards me. Esme emphasized how much they wanted me over this weekend so they can fully express their gratitude to what I've done. I looked at Charlie for approval not wishing to accept without his permission. I was grounded after all. I know how being grounded worked.

He couldn't say no to the good doctor and his wife. Especially after the embrace Esme had given me upon arrival. Edward had come along to also apologize and thank Charlie and myself for everything we had given him. To Charlie, Edward's words provided nothing but annoyance and lip service. To me they were a burden and a reminder of my lost time. Nothing but stress upon my life.

Saturday morning Edward came to the door to pick me up. Charlie waited for him. Again i left the door opening to him.

"Edward." Charlie greeted in his gruff cop voice.

"Officer Swan." Edward responded cooly. I stood slightly behind Charlie raising a brow towards Edward. He glanced at me and cleared his throat, "Good morning, I'm here to pick up your daughter."

Charlie huffed, "Bells, you still got that pepper spray?" He asked me in front of Edward. 

I laughed, "don't worry dad. His sister's would kill him for me if he planned anything stupid again. Pepper spray in the bag."

"Good." He kissed my forehead and I skipped down the steps without a stumble. It will be a good day. I hope.

I fussed with the seat a bit before laying it all the way down. Edward pulled out starting the drive. I had thought about what i would i say today. What they would ask. I didn't know what was safe to say but i knew and recognized that there is absolutely no way i couldn't talk about myself. I would have to tell them I was not Bella and really drive it home to them... that I'm supposed to be. 

"Do you not sleep enough at night?" He asked.

"I think I'm turning nocturnal."

"Is working and going to school too much for you? There's no shame in quitting you know." 

"No, that's not it. It's the room. When I'm alone in the room i think about going away again," I say and close my eyes so i could have a reason to ignore his worried gaze. I try to think to myself that i would at least have a few months before i vanish again. It's the only positive thought i could muster now. I would at least be given until graduation and maybe I'll come back after another nine months. I wonder if it's as disorienting for Bella as it was for me. 

We got to the Cullen house before i managed to sleep. My door quickly opened by Edward who held out a hand to me. Part of me was star struck by his charming smile. I had to take a moment before handing him my bag and stepping out of the car myself.

"Thank you sir. That would be all," I joked as he closed the car door.

"You think you're funny do you."

"Very much."

He chuckled, "you're not. You're obnoxious." I snorted and bursted into laughter, "truly unpalatable."