Chapter 88

I awoke in bed, I don't know how long it's been but I was awoken by cold hands caressing my cheek. I slowly turned towards the person and there she was. Esme, smiling down gently at me. Her eyes lit up and her smile widened. 

"My Mari... good morning," she whispered. 

My body felt heavy but that didn't stop me from turning around to hug her. The image had immediately jumped into my head. Her head completely snapped off. The horrible grinding sound in my ears. I had killed her or so I thought.

She hugged me back. Her cheek resting on top of my head. Her arms confining me in place. I gently touched her neck. There was a thin white scar now. Where her head had ripped off. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Hm? You have nothing to apologize for, sweetheart. I'm just glad you're okay," she said.

There was a light knock on the door. Esme called for them to come in. Carlisle entered. He had his usual smile on his face as he approached. 

"Sorry to interrupt," he said. "... How do you feel?"

I bury myself closer to Esme to make room on the bed for him to sit. Even though there was plenty of room already. He understood and sat down. His hand brushing some strand of hair out of my face.

"I'm good," i said.

He nodded. "You've been asleep for a day. I'm sure you want to know what you missed but might I be able to convince you to a doctor's check up first?"

I snorted. "What am I your patient?" I sat up. "You're my dad now, aren't you. Full rights to boss me around goes to you."

"I'd like to respect my children's wishes," he said.

I nodded. "And that's how all this mess started. You respected Ed too much. He's the type that needs to be bullied to stay humble and keep a clear perspective on things."

Carlisle laughed, "then you can do that. I'm afraid bullying is out of my area of expertise."

I looked at Esme and she shook her head. Pulling me back into a hug to avoid turning me down verbally. 

"I'm sure there's no need for a check up, dear," Esme told Carlisle. 

Esme was relaxed in the bed with me. We were still holding onto each other as if one of us was going to go away the moment we let go. What made it awkward for me was Carlisle being there sitting right next to me but acting like a complete stranger. 

I know my relationship with him wasn't as deep as mine with Esme was but that wasn't any fault of his own. Unlike with everyone else, Carlisle was the only one that I didn't particularly try all that hard with. I was the one that drew a line there and he stayed on it. 

It made me feel a little bad but considering he treated everyone else relatively the same as me then it wasn't like I was missing out of anything Carlisle had to offer as a father. 

"Dad," i tried the word and blushed. It felt strange. When I thought of dad, i didn't think of Carlisle, dad was a word still solely attached to Charlie.

"Yes?" He said.

"Ah, no. Nothing." I muttered but pulled on his sleeve anyway. I still wanted to rest a bit before I had to get up. I didn't want him to leave just because I was sleeping though. They had adopted me but we didn't really get all that much time to be a family. Everyone was too busy worrying. "Lay down with us," i whispered.

Esme smiled. "Come here, dear. You should know that Mari has an adorable habit of curling up into a ball as she sleeps."

I frown. "I do not."