4

JJ's POV:

Kie left me alone in the bathroom and she shoved money in my pocket. She didn't need to do that. She felt guilty. I went home and changed and then I went to hang with John B.

I got to his place and I told him everything that just happened at the country club. John B said Cole has never acted that way towards him or Pope.

"He's such a prick. I can't believe out of the guys, Kie picked him" I said

"Yeah, but her parents love him. Sarah told how amazing he was when she'd visit them in California. He's probably just getting used to the Outer Banks."

John B had a great idea to have him over for a guy's night next weekend when Pope was back in town. I so didn't want that but I couldn't tell John B why.

He's my best friend and I couldn't tell him that I slept with Kie. I went home later that night to my dad who was passed out on the couch. I snuck into my room and as I laid in my bed, I wanted to cry and punch something. Nothing has changed for me since high school.

I hated that I was stuck working three fucking useless jobs. I was a waiter at the country club, worked nights as a security guard at the junkyard, and occasionally worked at the surf shop.

After work the next day, I met John B at the beach and we were surfing. The waves were incredible today. John B said that Sarah was hanging out with Kie tonight.

A week went by and I avoided Kie at all costs. Pope was back in town for three days. John B invited Cole over for a guy's night at the chateau. Sarah was on a business trip and Kie was wedding planning.

"So why do we need to have Kiara's fiance over for a guy's night?" Pope asked

"If Kie's marrying him, we should know him." John B said

Cole arrived and we were just hanging out like normal around the fire drinking beer. I hated Cole and the way he treated Kie. I tried to like him but after how he acted at the country club, I couldn't. He also didn't like me so at least it was mutual.

Pope got into some nerd conversation with him. Then Cole said, "So, Kiara told me she dated one of you and kissed one of you. I know JJ is the ex-boyfriend and I'm guessing John B was the kiss?"

John B laughed and said, "Guilty, but we were sixteen and it meant nothing. Never should have happened. But JJ and Kie weren't ever a couple, it was Pope."

"No way..." Cole said

"It's true, but Kiara and I never should have dated. There was nothing ever there." Pope said

"So then what's your story with my fiance?" Cole asked looking at me like I was guilty

"No story, she's just one of my best friends. Has been since seventh grade." I answered as I didn't think telling him what happened two weeks ago was a good idea

"Don't get any ideas" Cole said

"Fuck you" I said finishing the beer I was holding

"JJ." Pope said in his scolding voice

John B and Pope both liked Cole and they all got along. Cole was tipsy and so was I when Kie showed up. She brought us pizzas from the Wreck.

"How's guy's night going?" She asked

John B answered and told her it was going great. Kie left and it was just us men and of course, Cole. We all got a little drunk and Cole was acting like a total douche kook. John B and Pope went inside quick to grab cookies Sarah made

"I can't believe Kie picked you to marry.." I said angrily

"You're just pissed because she'd never pick you. You're a trashy pogue from the cut. You live in a shitty shack, you don't have a real job, you have no money, no car, no purpose in life. The world might just be a whole lot better without you in it just like Kiara's life would be better without you in it..." Cole said and this set me off

I wanted to get up and punch him, but I knew that would piss Kie off. I stopped myself from starting a fight.

"Shut the fuck up, you know nothing about my life. What I will tell you is that John B and Pope are my brothers and we love Kie like she's our little sister so don't ever fucking hurt her. You're a wanna-be-kook. You'll never be a kook and you sure as hell won't ever be a pouge because in order to be a pogue, you'd have to be a decent human being and..."

He cut me off by trying to hit me. I dodged the punch and I hit him in the face. It felt so damn good to finally hit this bastard. I hit him again and this time he got me. We were in a full blown fight when John B and Pope came running out to break us apart. They seperated us and Pope brought Cole inside as he was wasted.

"What the hell was that?"

"He started it.." I said even though it was childish

"I don't care who started it. That is Kie's finace. You need to calm down. What are you still in love with her? Because you need to get over the crush JJ. It's been ten years and she's never shown any intrest in you, GROW UP AND MOVE ON. Kie is marrying Cole whether you like it or not. He's a good guy and he makes her happy. Let Kie be happy for once and don't ruin her happiness with your bullshit." John B yelled at me

I turned around and got on my dirt bike. I was drunk and I was driving. Kie would never let me do this. But I couldn't let John B see my tears. Of course, I was still in love with Kie. I always would be. Even if she didn't love me, I would always love her even if I never got the chance to tell her.

I went home to my dad who was awake and he started punching me and I took it. It made me feel something. I needed to feel alive. I needed the adrenaline right now. I went to bed and the next morning, I woke up with many missed calls from Kie.