9

Kiara's POV:

JJ came over and saw that both tests said 'negative'. I was so relieved and I said, "Fuck, we dodged a bullet.. I'm sorry, I really thought I was pregnant."

I wanted to have kids someday, but not right now and especially not with another guy when I was engaged to Cole. I almost wasn't believing that the tests were negative because of my symptpms. The throwing up must just be from all the stress or maybe I have some new food allergy.

"Yeah, we did.." He said agreeing and he almost seemed sad or upset that I wasn't pregnant

"It's okay, I would have thought the same thing if I was you. Luckily, our secret can stay a secret."

I hugged him and thanked him and then I freaked out because I was so embarrassed. I broke down into a total hot mess. JJ hugged me and said, "You probably shouldn't drive back tonight like this."

"I'm fine..." I said forcing myself to stop crying

"No you're not, you call me out on my bullshit and now I'm calling you out. You're staying." He said firm and I knew he was right. I looked outside and it was snowing.

I turned around and went and laid down in bed. I curled up under the covers and I just laid there thinking about the past two hours. I thought I was pregnant with JJ's baby and he seemed happy about it. I don't know why he would be happy about it. And Cole. I cheated on Cole. How could I be so stupid?

I never meant to sleep with JJ. It was one of those things that just happened before I realized what actually happened. But here's my secret, I don't regret it. I was lost in my thoughts for a long time before JJ walked over with a pizza box. He sat down next to me on the bed and put the box down.

"Sorry, all I have is leftover pizza but you should eat." He said grabbing a piece

I sat up and grabbed one. He looked down and said, "Sorry, it's not much.."

"J, it's perfect. I love pizza, it's the ultimate comfort food." I said smiling

"So remember that time like three hours when we thought you were pregnant with my baby? Yeah, good times.." He said joking which caused me to laugh

We made small talk as we ate and then we watched a movie and then we went to bed. JJ told me to take the bed and he was going to take the couch.

"Are you sure? I can sleep on the couch. This is your bed. Or you could sleep here too..." I said feeling guilty having the bed

He laughed and said, "You do remember what happened the last time we shared a bed, right?"

I laughed and we said goodnight. My wedding was in three weeks and I knew this would be the last time I was ever alone with JJ. So I started talking because I needed to know a few things.

"So what did you do for five years after we left Costa Rica?" I asked

JJ answered from the couch, "I got a really good construction job. I bought this place and it's on twenty acres of land. I had a brand new company truck. I was making bank. Life was great... Then my dad came back last year. He got arrested in Mexico and was there for two years before. I had to pay to get him home and then he ruined my life. I got fired because he stole equipment from a jobsite of mine and totaled the truck. So all my savings went to pay for his shit. That's why I'm working three fucking stupid jobs and living with his ass. Okay?"

"J, I'm so sorry... I had no idea. On the bright side, this place that you have is perfect..."

He cut me off and said, "Don't even try to make it sound like you like this shitty cabin in the middle of the woods. You have a whole kook house."

"Yeah, I do have a kook house but Cole picked it out. You know how I feel about living on figure eight. I would much rather live on the cut or someplace just like this. I know you think I went to California and turned into a kook, but I didn't."

"You're going to marry a wanna-be-kook."

"Cole's parents have a shit ton of money. They are like the Cameron's, but they made their money more legally. I promise I'm still a pogue. I always will be."

"I hope so.." He said

We both fell asleep and when we woke up, there was almost a foot of snow. JJ and I put our shoes on and we ran outside, just like we were little kids. We ran in the snow and threw snowballs at each other. We came inside both freezing so we made hot chocolate and then went back outside. This time, we had hats and gloves on. We made snow angels, a small snowman, and JJ cleaned my car off.

We went inside and he made breakfast for us. I was shocked as he was making eggs.

He put the plate down in front of me and I laughed and said, "You've come a long way from eating moldy bread"

JJ started laughing and he said, "That was nasty as shit. I can make a few things. I like cooking when I'm here."

I was getting ready to leave but JJ and I saw that the roads were closed. So I was stuck here another day and there was no phone service. Cole was going to murder me.

We spent the whole day playing cards, playing games, making cookies, and playing in the snow. It was like we were kids all day with no parents. We ate dinner and watched two Christmas movies.

"Best Christmas present you ever got?" He asked me after we finished the Polar Express

"I was seven and Santa got me the dream barbie house. It was pretty cool. What about you?"

"Your barbie house was probably bigger than my house... But I was two and it was the last normal Christmas I had. My parents were there. It was the last Christmas with my mom. I got this super cool truck from Santa."

"Santa always brought the best presents. I miss being a little kid on Christmas."

"Me too... The Christmas after my mom left, I stopped getting Christmas presents. Probably the youngest kid to not believe in Santa. I never understood why Santa didn't bring me presents. I thought I was a bad kid, I mean my dad hit me so I must be bad. Then at four years old, I realized Santa wasn't real."

That made my heartbreak, like physically ache.  I was crying and I made a mental note to get JJ something for Christmas. "I'm so sorry, J... I can't imagine dealing with all that at such a young age."

"It's whatever..."

"What happened to your mom?"

"She just left one day. I remember her coming into my room early one morning and that was the last time I ever saw her. I don't know why she would leave me with my father if she knew he was abusive. Which tells me that he didn't hurt her, but since she left, he's always blamed me."

"JJ, you were two years old. I promise you, it wasn't your fault."

"I know, that's why if you were pregnant, I wouldn't ever leave you. I would never want my baby growing up wondering why his or her dad left."

I hugged him and the more we talked, the more he told me. This was all so much deeper than our talks on the surf trip. But I knew one thing, JJ would always be my best friend.

** if you wanted to see the story of what would happen if kie was pregnant you can skip down to the alt. chapters ***