Chapter 3

Adrien/Chat Noir

"What's a girl like you doing alone on a night like this?"

Smooth Agreste. Now she's going to think Chat is a creep. Marinette jumped, whirling around.

"Ch- Chat Noir! What are you doing here?"

He bowed slightly, relieved to see she wasn't creeped out, just startled. He had no honest answer to her question. He wasn't even sure why he was here.

"Ladybug missed patrol, so I decided to stop by. I heard about what happened today."

She grimaced at the mention of his partner, and he almost frowned.

"How'd you hear about that?"

"Word travels fast around Paris. So how are you?"

She shrugged nonchalantly, turning her gaze back to the view. He walked up to the railing next to her, looking down at the street below.

"Expected to find a blubbering mess, did you kitty?"

He had. Marinette looked like she was going to lose it when she left, and he had been anxiously waiting for that alert on his phone, surprisingly it never came.

"In all honesty, I expected an acuma."

"Yeah, it was in my bedroom." She murmered, looking uncomfortable.

There was an acuma in her room? Had Ladybug deevilized an acuma without him? No, that couldn't be the case. It would have been on the news.

"What happened?"

"I calmed myself down."

How vague.

"Is that why you're outside?"

She nodded, and he glanced back towards her skylight.

"Worried it's still in there?"

"No, just uncomfortable with knowing one was in my room." She admitted, and he nodded.

"So, why were you so upset that you attracted one?" He pried, and she shot him a teasing look.

"Trying to get all the juicy deets, huh?"

He felt his face flush, and he shook his head. He had been there for most of it. He just wanted to hear her side. She watched him for a moment, before turning and leaning back against the railing.

"I lost two or more of my friends today."

He shifted uncomfortably, recalling the events in the library. He had never seen that side of either girl. It had felt like they were out for blood.

"Who?"

"Adrien and Alya. Mainly. Alya did something stupid, so I responded by doing something stupider. At the time I was angry with her, because she destroyed my friendship with Adrien. So I lashed out."

Alya hadn't destroyed anything. That he knew of, anyway.

"Why do you think she destroyed your friendship?"

"She forced Adrien and I to kiss. And apparently, I did something wrong. Then, she outed the fact that I'm in love with him, to his face."

Nope. That wasn't quite right either. She had done everything perfectly. So perfectly, that stupid kiss had invaded his dreams that night.

"I shouldn't be worried about that right? That he knows? He probably has hundreds of girls confessing their love for him weekly. Mine should just fade out of memory." She said it hopefully, but he knew it wouldn't.