Chapter 35 Final Chapter

Before I begin, I would like to say thank you, to everyone reading and to everyone voting. It means so much to know that someone likes my writing. And to that one special follower, who voted on just about every single chapter, thank you. You have no idea how much that notification would make my day. I appreciate all of you. 💕

Adrien

"You can keep my umbrella."

"Your umbrella?"

Her features scrunched up in confusion, before suddenly dead-panning as her eyes shot open. He forced himself to remain expressionless, his heart breaking when she took a small step away from him.

"Adrien?" She breathed, her eyes wide.

He nodded, running a hand through his hair to momentarily distract him. He didn't know how to classify this reaction. She stepped away from him. But she didn't yell or anything, so it was better than he had expected. That is, until he looked back at her. Tears were streaming down her cheeks again. His hand twitched at the thought of wiping her tears away, but he couldn't. What if she flinched away?

"Oh my god. Your mom..." She sobbed, throwing herself forward and slamming against him, her arms wrapping around his neck.

He exhaled, wrapping his arms around her.

"Adrien I'm so sorry."

He closed his eyes, just relieved that she was okay. Well, he assumed she was okay with it. She had hugged him. She wouldn't have done that unless she was okay with it being him.

"You made the right choice." She breathed, and it broke him.

No one had told him that, no one except Luka, the one person who could have stopped him. But hearing it from her? It was validation. If she approved, his choice couldn't have been that wrong, right? He hugged her tighter, hating the way he started shaking. He hated the tears in his eyes. He hated the regret and guilt that still weighed heavy on his shoulders.

"Really?" He whispered, slowly sinking to the floor with her in his arms.

He couldn't breathe. All this time, he had thought she hated him. He thought she would leave him. He held her tighter, his tears landing in her already soaked hair. He had expected the worst. She pulled away, wiping the tears from his face.

"You knew your father wouldn't move on unless she was completely gone. You made the right choice."

She ran her hands up and down his shoulders, warmth spreading from her fingertips. His breathing began to slow as he focused on her touch, her eyes, her gentle smile. He leaned forward and kissed her, wishing it hadn't happened like this. That hawkmoth had been a complete stranger. That his father had grieved properly. That he had moved on. But in this small moment, he could accept it. Maybe things had to happen that way to get him here. With Marinette, as Adrien. With her looking at him like he was innocent. Like he hadn't done something unforgivable.

"Are you hungry?"

He laughed, a weak pathetic laugh, but it was still a laugh. He sighed, letting the sweet smell of ginger and vanilla encompass him. He had missed that smell.

"Cheese?"

Plagg answered for him, and she pulled away from Adrien, wiping her eyes to look at the kwami floating before her.

"We should have some. Come on, let's get you something to eat."

She grabbed Adrien's wrist, pulling him towards the trapdoor. He froze, shaking his head. She couldn't be serious.