Chapter 7

Adrien

"I hate myself." Adrien groaned, flopping down onto his bed.

Plagg ignored him, swallowing another bite of camembert.

"Did you hear me Plagg?"

"What do you want from me kid? You like Marinette. That's it."

Adrien scowled at Plagg, sitting up.

"Wrong. I do not like her in that way."

"You practically begged her for a kiss."

"I did not!" He snapped back, and Plagg rolled his eyes.

"Oh, show me again Marinette, I just wanted to make sure you still kissed the same. After hearing you drone on and on about Adrien I can't help myself, I need you." Plagg teased, and immediately phased through the pillow that was thrown at him.

"Plagg! Be serious." He snapped, his mind instinctively wandering back to almost kissing her.

That had probably come off as pushy. Wait a minute. She didn't kiss him.

"She didn't kiss me." He mumbled, as if he had a sudden epiphany.

"If you start crying I'm gonna need more cheese. I wasn't meant to be a therapist."

God, couldn't Plagg chill?

"No. She didn't kiss me. If she really did love Adrien, she would like Chat. But she didn't kiss him. So, she doesn't actually love me."

"Same can be said for you and Ladybug then."

Adrien scowled, crossing his arms. That wasn't fair. He would love Ladybug. If he knew who she was. He sighed, realizing Plagg kind of had a point. He checked his phone, he had received a text from Nino.

"You, me, Alya and Marinette are all going up to her family's cabin in the mountains. She thinks it'll fix what's been broken."

As if his father would let him. He immediately texted back an apology, because he already knew the answer would be no.

"Don't worry. We have a plan."

Adrien tossed his phone to the side, rubbing his face. Even if his father said yes, he didn't want to go. Sure, he wanted their group to go back to what it was before. He wanted everyone to actually enjoy each other's presence. But he couldn't be up in a cabin with Marinette. Besides. He couldn't leave Ladybug to defend Paris by herself. He curled up in his comforter, closing his eyes. He prayed Marinette stayed out of his dreams tonight, and hoped that a certain heroine instead visited his sleep. He drifted off, buried beneath a mound of blankets.

* * * * *

He awoke to the sound of shouting downstairs, and he threw the blankets off of him as he scrambled out of his bedroom. A girl was practically screaming obscenities at someone, and he wondered if Natalie had finally decided to quit. He stopped at the top of the stairs, staring down at a very pissed Marinette. Her cheeks were bright red, and he followed her glare to his father. Dear god what the fuck is she doing?

"Adrien deserves to have a life!" She shouted, but his father didn't respond.

"Marinette, I don't want to go." He said gently, slowly making his way down the stairs.

She looked at him, wearing a face of betrayal.

"Seriously? You're that terrified of spending time with me? I thought you wanted things to go back to normal. I thought you wanted to be friends again."