Chapter 27

Adrien

He anxiously tapped his fingers on the countertop, checking his phone for the millionth time. Marinette had said she would call him. So far she had ignored four texts and two calls. It had been hours since she left, she should have let one of them know what was going on.

"Careful. You'll get worry lines." Vincent remarked, wiping the lens on one of his cameras.

Adrien scowled at him, heading out onto the porch. Nino was sitting in the swing, his foot bouncing to whatever song was blaring through his headphones. Alya was sitting on the steps, looking incredibly pale.

"Are you okay?"

"Just... just sick to my stomach. That's all." She mumbled, squeezing her phone tighter in her hand.

Yeah, he knew the feeling. Something felt awfully wrong, he just couldn't place what it was.

"Still no word from her?"

She shook her head, her gaze remaining locked on the yard. Well, he couldn't take it anymore. If Marinette was that busy fine, but he was going to make sure she at least was okay. He quickly found the baker's number, holding it up to his ear.

"Hello, sorry but we're closed today."

Tom's deep voice echoed over the call, and Adrien put on his kindest voice.

"That's alright. I wanted to call and check on Marinette. She let us know what happened, and she seemed shaken up when she left. I wanted to make sure she was alright."

There was a long pause on Tom's side, and for some reason the pit in Adrien's stomach seemed to deepen.

"She... she left already? How long ago?"

"Uh.. almost six hours?"

Alya looked up at him, worry etched onto her features.

"Six? That's impossible. She would have been here by now."

"She left right after you called. She's not there?"

"No!" Tom snapped, and Adrien felt the blood rush from his face. Was she missing?

"Natalie drove her. I'll call and find out if they're stuck in traffic or something."

He hung up, his pulse skyrocketing. She was fine, she had to be with Natalie. Alya stood, not saying anything to him as she went inside. He dialed Natalie's number, counting the rings. One, two, three. Just as he thought he was going to get her voice-mail, she answered.

"Hello?"

"Where's Marinette? I need to talk to her."

"She's at home with her parents."

He wanted to scream at her. That was a blatant lie.

"No she isn't. I just called her parents."

"That's impossible. I dropped her off in front of the bakery as soon as we got to Paris."

He hung up on her, calling Tom back. He didn't wait for any greeting.

"Call the police. Natalie dropped her off hours ago."

Tom hung up, and Adrien went in search of Alya. He needed her car. He needed her to cover for him. Because Chat Noir was going to find her. He stopped in the doorway, his stomach churning. The way Marinette had been talking last night... she knew this was going to happen. She was scared. He should have seen it. Was it her stalker?