Chapter Thirty-One: Case Of The Ex

Elliot

The bonfire is in full blaze as I drive along the dirt path. I used to live for nights like these, but now all I want is to be cuddled up next to Hunter on the couch watching shitty reality TV. I guess it's a small price to pay so I can seem normal again.

Holden has a party on his parent's property every weekend. Their hundred-acre farm has several old barns that they no longer use for horses. Now they serve the purpose of housing about a hundred drunken idiots, puking and spilling beer all over the place. I'm sure his parents are thrilled about the return on their investment.

As soon as I exit my car, I hear my name being called from over by the kegs. I flash a smile and wave as if I'm totally happy to be here right now. Poppy intercepts me before I'm halfway up the winding path that leads to the barn.

She throws her arms around my neck sloppily, spilling half her drink in the process. "Oh my god, Elliot," she slurs. "I swear it's been months since I've seen you out. You're like a ghost, girl."

I take a step back when she releases her death grip on me and force a smile. Even though Poppy and I used to be fairly close, I can't remember the last time I actually had a full conversation with her. "I've been around," I say as a plastic cup is handed to me by one of the guys manning the keg.

Poppy twirls a strand of hair around her finger and leans into me. I think her intention is to whisper, but she's too lit to pull it off. "Did you see Cameron? She's completely wasted already." Her arm flings to her right, and sure enough, Cameron is stumbling around awfully close to the fire. It would be a shame if she tripped.

"It's so sad the way she follows Dylan around," she continues. "It's obvious he's still into you. I wouldn't want to be the one someone dated after you."

I laugh before taking a much needed drink. "We dated for like a month."

"I know right?" She laughs and leans into me again. "I mean, look at Judah. You guys were together for like ever, and now he can barely function."

"We're fine now. We had a good talk, and I think he finally got some closure."

Poppy snorts. "Um, have you seen him? That's not exactly what I would say closure looked like."

My eyes scan around the party until they find his. He's standing just outside the barn, surrounded by our usual group, but he's not smiling. He has that same blank, somewhat bored expression he's been sporting since we broke up. My chest seizes up again, the guilt forever consuming me.

Poppy nudges me with her elbow. "See what I mean."

I take a large sip of my drink so I don't have to answer. Cameron takes this particular time to notice my presence and starts walking toward us. She stumbles on the knee-high boots she's wearing, and I stifle an eyeroll. Why she would choose such inappropriate footwear to basically stand in a field is beyond me.

I force yet another smile when she stops beside me and flicks her hair over her shoulder. "I'm surprised you showed up."

I'm suddenly finding it hard not to laugh. If this is a show of dominance, I'm not in the mood. So I choose to remain aloof. I shrug and then tilt my plastic cup to her.

"I told you I would."

She gives a strained smile of her own. I can tell when Cameron is acting petty, and right now, she can barely stand herself.