Chapter Thirteen: The Power Of Silence

Elliot

Oliver enters the kitchen with a smirk. "Good morning." He holds his arms out dramatically before making his way to the fridge.

I shoot him an irritated look. "What are you in such a good mood for?"

He shrugs before taking a large bite of an apple and speaking with his mouth full. "Can't a person be genuinely happy?" I narrow my eyes at him, and he laughs. "Apparently not." He makes his way to the table with a handful of questionable breakfast choices. "Did you get your car back from the shop yet?"

"No, it won't be done until tomorrow. Why?"

"I have to leave early today so if you need a ride, you'll have to get one with Hunter."

He says this casually while browsing the paper. I'm thankful he's not looking at me because I can't keep the disgust from my face. Goosebumps prickle down my spine when he says his name.

"I'd rather fucking walk," I mutter under my breath.

He lets out a whistle, looking up at me. "Whoa. What'd he do to you?"

My cheeks flush. I can't believe I said that out loud. "Nothing," I say quickly. "I'm just feeling off today, I guess."

Oliver laughs. "That's funny because he said the same thing. Maybe you two can go be miserable together."

I pour myself a much needed cup of coffee and ignore his comment. He looks over at me and grins again.

"What?" I ask, my frustration peaking.

"Well, we went out Saturday night so he might be feeling a little better now if you know what I mean." He waggles his eyebrows at me, and I think I may be sick. I know exactly what happened during their guy's night out. The only problem is—I have no right to be upset about it.

"Oliver, I don't fucking care. I'll get a ride with Cameron."

He shakes his head. "Geez, Elle. You're so moody lately. I can tell you're back together with Judah."

My mouth drops open. "I'm not back with Judah. Who told you that?"

"Um, Judah basically did. He said he was coming home next weekend to take you to that dance when me and Hunter were playing basketball."

That explains why Hunter went out with Ollie. I guess that means he tagged himself back into the game.

***

Cameron stands beside my locker shifting around on her feet. Knowing her, it's because she has something to say that she doesn't think I will like. It's nothing new, but I don't have time for her drama right now. I have more important things to worry about.

"What's up?" I ask as I dig around for my notebook.

She shakes her head, staring down at the strands of hair she has pulled between her fingers. "Nothing."

"It's not nothing. Just tell me."

I hear her sigh. "Well, since you're not going to Fall Festival with Dylan anymore I was thinking—"

Her voice trails off and I laugh, standing up and closing my locker. "You can go with him, Cam. I don't care."

Her eyes widen when they meet mine. "Seriously?"