Chapter Seven: Pretty Little Fears

Elliot

As I walk through the halls on my first day of senior year I feel a certain confidence in my step. To be honest, I pretty much always feel that way, but this year is different. I don't have Judah draped all over me all the time and I don't have to be constantly worrying if he's going to fly off the handle about someone looking at me for too long. One of the many flaws Judah possesses is an extremely jealous temper. Major turn-off for me.

I stop at my usual locker and am immediately caught off guard by the note attached to it. I pull it off without reading it and type in my combination. Before I can stop them, dozens of roses come spilling out at me.

Cameron leans against the locker beside me, snickering to herself.

"Oh my God," I cry, bending down to retrieve the unwanted floral display.

She snatches the note from my hand, and I glare up at her. She clears her throat dramatically. "To Elle. Have a great first day. I love you—Judah." She holds her hand to her chest when she finishes.

"This is not cute, Cam," I grumble.

Cameron looks confused. "Um, yes, it is. I would die if my boyfriend showered me with flowers on my first day of class." She waves the card at me with a smirk and speaks in a sing-song voice. "And he went to the 'good' florist."

"He's not my boyfriend," I deadpan.

She crosses her arms and huffs. "You're being stupid. Just tell him you love him, and you'll go to Cornell next year. He obviously loves you."

"This means nothing, he's just scared I'll find someone else." Frustration surges through me as I stand with an armful of red and pink roses. I almost have them all shoved in my locker when I hear a whistle from behind me. Ollie.

"Holy shit, Elle. Are those from Judah?" Oliver remarks.

"Yes," I say, exasperated.

He laughs. "I thought you guys were seeing other people."

"We are. He's being an idiot." I slam my locker shut and turn to face him. "What time is practice?"

"It's at four. Don't be late." He smirks to himself and then walks away toward his office.

Cameron fans herself with her hand. "Your brother is so hot. Too bad he's a teacher. I would totally..."

"Cam! Eww. Don't talk about Ollie like that."

She smiles. "Okay, sorry. But you have to admit it would be kind of hot to get it on with a teacher."

My stomach dips at her words. Hunter is a teacher. Thank God he doesn't have a job here. I don't know what I'd do if I had to suffer through the temptation at home and at school.

With a sigh, I give her a shove toward our Ethics class. "Let's go. It's the first day and I don't want to be late."

***

I tap my pen against my desk impatiently while I wait for my last class to let out. I've been on the fence about skipping practice today and getting drunk instead. Call it teenage rebellion if you want, but the stunt Judah pulled with the flowers is still pissing me off. Besides, Ollie is a dick for having practice on the first day of school anyway.

Dylan Andrews pokes me in the shoulder from the seat behind me. I turn my head slightly.

"What are you doing tonight, Elliot? I only have practice until six."