Chapter Eighteen: Dodging Bullets

Elliot

The look on Hunter's face this morning when Judah showed up is still burned into my mind. After all the progress we made last night I'm worried he will take it the wrong way. I know I need to have a conversation with Judah about Hunter, but it's not like I can actually tell him we're dating. No matter what we do, it still has to be a secret. If I tell Judah I'm dating someone else, I know how he is. He'll dig until he finds out who it is, and I can't let that happen. I wish I could talk to Ollie about this. What's worse is that all of this could have been avoided if I could just tell him. He's a reasonable guy, maybe he won't even get mad?

I've been alternating between pacing back and forth across the kitchen and peeking out into the driveway through the window for about two hours now. How long does it take to play a round of golf?

My phone buzzes on the counter, and I almost leap to grab it. Hunter hasn't responded to any of my texts all day. My heart drops again when I see it's from Judah. He's relentless. I click the message off without fully reading it and take a seat at the kitchen table. I've been pacing for so long, I'm driving myself crazy.

I'm about to go upstairs and call it a night when headlights flash through the room. I remain seated and wait for one of them to enter. Even though I can barely stand it, I can't exactly run out there and jump into Hunter's arms.

Two minutes and thirty-eight seconds later, Oliver strolls into the kitchen. "Elle, what are you doing sitting here in the dark?" He shoots me a look before walking over and flipping on the light switch.

So much for not seeming suspicious. I was so wrapped up in waiting for him I didn't even realize it got dark outside. I fold my hands on the table. "I was just sitting here thinking and lost track of time." Also sounds suspicious.

He nods before grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge and leans back against the counter. "Did Judah tell you about his plans for next semester?"

I sigh. "Yes. What's his problem lately?"

Oliver takes a drink before responding. "He loves you."

I raise an eyebrow. "How can you say that? You know Judah as well as I do."

"Exactly.

"Oliver, he does not love me. He's upset about the fact he can't have me whenever he wants anymore."

Oliver shrugs as he replaces the cap on his bottle. "I don't know. I've never seen him act this way before. I think he's serious." He pats me on the shoulder on his way to the living room. "Let him down gently, killer."

After sitting in stunned silence for about five minutes, I make my way over to the guest house. I take a deep breath and knock on the door.

Hunter opens it immediately. "Hey, I was wondering how long it was going to take you." His smile and warm reaction throw me for a loop.

"Aren't you mad?" I ask.

He looks behind me and then pulls me inside. "No, of course not." His arms wrap around me, and I inhale his comforting scent. He smells like soap combined with something woodsy and it calms me.

"I texted you and you never answered."

He pulls back and kisses me on the forehead. "I'm sorry, baby. I was in such a hurry this morning I left my phone."

Okay, solves that I guess. The bigger question is why is he taking this so well? Any other guy would have freaked out by now and demanded to know why Judah was really here.