Chapter Forty-Eight: Save The Last Dance for Me

Hunter

I can't watch them anymore. It doesn't matter if we aren't together, there's only one person Elliot is supposed to be with, and it isn't him. Reaching into the pocket of my jacket, I pull out the flask Oliver gave me earlier. He said I would need it and he was right—again.

After taking a long pull, I twist the cap back on. Oliver nudges my shoulder with his. "You cool?"

I shake my head. "Not really." I hold the flask up so he can see before tucking it back in my jacket.

His eyes drift to the dance floor where Elliot and Judah appear to be in an intimate embrace. "It's almost over, man. They're about to announce the queen."

My teeth clench as I continue to stare at what should be mine. I want all of her moments, not just the ones nobody sees. "I don't care," I say suddenly.

He raises an eyebrow as I hand the flask to him. "I have to get out of here." I look back to the dance floor again, and her eyes meet mine before I turn back to Oliver. "Cover for me, okay?"

Oliver grips the flask in his hand, his eyes narrowing. "You're really going to leave?"

I glance at Elliot and then back to him. "Please, Oliver."

"Okay," he says, uncertainty in his tone.

I shoulder past him before I can change my mind. It feels like I hold my breath until I reach the hallway right outside of the ballroom. I take deep breaths and pace around with my hands clasped on top of my head.

Is it wrong for me to want to leave before it ends? I know I told her it was over and she should move on, but it doesn't mean I have to watch it anymore. My hand reaches in my pocket, and I grip my keys. With one last glance at the doors I turn around and walk straight to the parking lot.

***

I drive to my apartment in silence. After all the music blaring from the dance, a little quiet is in order. Before getting out of my truck, I lean over and grab the six pack I got at the convenience store on the way here.

Sitting on the tailgate, I crack the first bottle. The way this night is going I'm sure there will be many. No matter how hard I try, my thoughts keep going back to her. Oliver was right yet again, whether I'm there or not, I'm still going to think about it.

I'm working on the second bottle when Oliver's truck pulls into the lot. I laugh because he must have bailed, too. I smile as I wait for him to get out of the truck. All the air escapes my lungs when Elliot does instead.

She walks over to me with her dress bunched in her left hand, her crown still on top of her head.

I nod to it as she stops in front of me. "Congratulations." I tip my beer to her before tilting it back. "But the dance isn't over yet."

"I know," she says softly.

"Then what are you doing here?" The sarcasm lacing my voice is unintentional, but I keep going anyway. Seeing her with Judah is something I'll never get used to, and maybe I carried some of that bitterness with me. "This is your prom. You only get one of them."

She smiles, but it's so painfully sad my own heart twitches. "I had to tell you something."

My stomach begins to twist up again. "And what's that?"

She takes a breath, stepping closer. "I came to tell you I don't care anymore."

That's when my heart completely stops. I clutch my chest to make sure it's still in there and am surprised to find it beating erratically against my palm. I swallow hard. "I get that."