Chapter Twenty-Three: Outside The Wire

Hunter

After the track meet, I spot Judah still in the corner of the parking lot. Elliot is getting a ride home with Oliver so at least I know she's safe. It still doesn't change the fact that my patience has run out. I clench and unclench my fist while I watch him finally get into his truck and pull out of the parking lot. Five seconds later, I crank the ignition and follow him.

Fortunately for me, Judah pulls into an alley beside the liquor store. I park one block over and let my truck idle. I know this is a bad idea, but if Oliver's going to pretend like it's no big deal then somebody needs to show this asshole that it is.

He has a cocky smirk on his face when he exits the store with a brown paper bag tucked under his arm. His face is concentrating on his phone while he attempts to text and walk at the same time.

I shake my head. Of course he's drinking again. I don't think the kid's been sober since Elliot broke up with him. It's a dangerous combination—alcohol and heartache. It makes you do crazy, irrational things. Sometimes unspeakable things you can never take back. I won't let anything happen to Elliot because of this behavior.

When Judah gets back into his truck, I pull out and follow him exactly where I knew I would. He maintains the speed limit and stays inside the lines the entire way to Elliot's driveway. Hopefully, he hasn't started yet. It will be easier to get him to leave without resorting to violence. I don't want to hit him, but my patience is running thin.

I park against his bumper and jump out of my truck. He slides out of his vehicle casually and turns back to me and laughs.

"How did I know it was you again?" Judah says sarcastically and then reaches across his seat for the small brown bag. He twists the cap off the bottle and takes a long drink. "What's your fucking problem with me?"

I cock my head to him. "Elliot already made it clear to you she doesn't want to see you. You need to stop this."

He laughs again. Right in my fucking face. "You don't know what you're talking about, man."

"I think I fucking do."

Judah runs a hand along his jaw, studying me for a moment. "Why are you so concerned with what's going on between us?"

It must be something he sees in my face because his grin widens as he tilts the bottle back once more. I watch him twist on the cap and place it on his front seat. "You're fucking her, aren't you?"

The anger burns behind my eyes as I glare back at him. "When a girl tells you no, it means no. If you can't understand that then I'm going to be forced to explain it to you." I lean into him and he keeps his stance in challenge. His nostrils flare. "Trust me, motherfucker. You don't want that."

Judah shoves me back, and I laugh under my breath. "You think I don't know what's going on here? This is what she does."

My pulse starts to beat into my neck, and I clench my fist at my side. "I'd shut the fuck up if I were you. Last warning."

His eyes turn darker. "Don't you get it? It all ends with me anyway. Everyone else is just a casualty. Dylan, obviously, now you—you're just collateral damage." His eyes lock on mine. "She always comes back to me."

"Not this time," I grit out. My fist clenches so violently I'm surprised my knuckles don't crack.

Judah looks thoughtful for a moment and then a smirk spreads across his face. "I was the first person to have her. Did you know that?" He takes a step toward me, and I take a breath. "And I'm going to be the last."