Chapter Nine: Losing Control

Elliot

"No way, Elle. The last time you and your asshole friends had a party you trashed the place. I had to pay overtime for the clean-up," Oliver protests. He's pointing his spoon at me from across the table like he has some kind of authority. It almost makes me laugh.

I roll my eyes. "You don't pay for shit." I throw a grape at him and he dodges it with a smirk. "Dad has them on his payroll, anyway."

He pauses for a minute, holding a spoonful of oatmeal mid-air. "You know, you really do sound like a brat. I thought I raised you better than that."

This time, I do laugh as I stand up from the table. "Ollie, if the roles were reversed we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You never gave a shit what destruction you caused in high school." I place my bowl in the dishwasher and turn back to face him. "I'm having a party this weekend and you're just going to have to deal with it."

"A party, huh?" Hunter says with a smile as he strolls into the kitchen. This living arrangement is starting to get on my nerves.

I cross my arms as he shoves in front of me to grab a glass from the cabinet. "Yes, and since you're both such mature grown-ups, you'll have to find something else to do Saturday night." I give Oliver a pointed look. "That means stay away."

Oliver and Hunter exchange a mocking glance, but I continue. "Listen, our parents never go away for a whole weekend. And last time they did I was at the beach with Cameron, so I didn't even get to enjoy it." I'm borderline whining at this point, but I don't care. Oliver always gets to do whatever he wants.

Hunter pops a bagel in the toaster, and I glare at him out the corner of my eye. "Don't you have a kitchen of your own that you can eat in?" I whisper harshly at him.

He leans into me slightly. "I would, but apparently all I have is vodka."

I shift my gaze to Oliver who appears to be distracted by his phone. It doesn't take much. I'm about to reply when Hunter's hand grazes mine as he reaches for the butter. Even that small amount of physical contact is almost enough to make me want to slam him against the wall and kiss him until I can't breathe.

His eyes meet mine, and I turn to walk out of the room, apparently causing Oliver to snap out of his trance. "Hey, this conversation isn't over, Elle," he calls to me.

"We'll see," I call over my shoulder.

***

By noon, the news of my party has already spread across school. I catch Oliver glaring at me from down the hall, but it only makes me smile. Not only did I invite the essential people of the senior class, but also a large amount that graduated in the last couple of years. This would include most of his friends, making it extremely amusing to me that he and Hunter cannot attend.

I'm currently wearing Dylan's letterman's jacket over my dress. It's not a fashion statement I'd typically make, but the looks I've already gotten from Hunter are worth it.

He discretely grabs my arm to stop me when I try to walk past his classroom. His features remain even as he speaks, but his words are like ice. "I think you've made your point, Elle."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I reply.

He shakes his head and opens his mouth to speak again, but then thinks better of it. Before I can react, he pulls me into his classroom and shuts the door behind us. It's supposed to be lunch period so nobody should be looking for either of us at the moment.