Chapter Thirty-Three: For I Never Saw A Truer Beauty Until This Night

Hunter

It seems like a cruel joke to have to direct the school play this year. Typically, I'm all in for things like this, but the cast has already been set, and the play, that's another story. Romeo and Juliet will be played out by none other than Elliot Monroe and Dylan Andrews. Fuck my life.

The rest of winter break, Elliot spent a lot of her time with Judah. Oliver did his best to keep me entertained, but it didn't help much. Even though I tried to act cool when I actually did get to see her, I don't think I succeeded. Regardless of our intentions, this arrangement has already begun to put an unwelcome strain on our relationship.

The only time I get to spend alone with her is in class and now it seems it will be more often than before. I've been reading through the script while I wait for everyone to arrive during my free period. Elliot enters first with her hair intricately braided down her back and a large bag slung over her shoulder.

"Dress rehearsal, eh?" I say over my book.

She winks at me. "No, just my first fitting, Mr. Graham."

I bite the inside of my cheek to hide my smile. I love it when she says that.

She drops her bag to the floor with a thud. "I may need your help with Dylan." She motions over to where he's currently leaned back in a chair tossing a ball in the air. "He's kind of an idiot."

I set my script down and hop off the edge of the stage. "I can try to run lines with him."

She rolls her eyes. "It's going to take a lot more than that." She lowers her voice a little. "I think he's only doing this so he can hang out with me. He's acting weird."

My eyes drift to where Dylan is sitting in front of the stage. Cameron walks down through the aisles and sits next to him—he doesn't even glance over at her.

"Are they fighting?" I whisper to Elliot.

She shrugs. "I don't think so, but I haven't really talked to her much either. She was still being a dick at Holden's party."

"But she thinks you're with Judah, right?"

"As far as I know."

I laugh lightly, picking up my script again. I tap her on the shoulder with it. "Maybe you should find out. Have a girls' night."

She gives me a tight smile. "I'll get right on that."

I shake my head as she carries her bag backstage. Cameron could be a problem for us. I catch her staring sometimes and that makes me nervous. Girls like her are always looking for the quickest way to get to the top. In her case, destroying Elliot. Best friends or not—I wouldn't put it past her.

The rest of the cast files in, along with Dylan Andrews, who finally decides to pick himself out of that chair. For the first time I'm thankful everyone thinks she's with Judah so I'm not forced to watch her hang all over Dylan again. I wonder what scenes they chose?

A small mousy girl comes up beside me. "Mr. Graham."

I look down at her and smile. "Hello, and you are?"

"I'm Darcy Benton. Your director's assistant."

I shake her hand. "Oh, nice to meet you. I'll be needing your help. This is my first day, and I'm not sure where we're at."

"The balcony scene, sir."

Fuck me. Of course we are. "All right then. We'll begin there."