Chapter Forty: Sacrifice

Hunter

Elliot's father is a surprisingly reasonable man. I was fully prepared for him to murder me, but he didn't. His major concern is for her, and I agree one hundred percent. That's why I know what I need to do. I can't let this relationship ruin her future. No matter how much I love her—how much I've always loved her, in order to prove that I need to let her go. I just haven't quite worked up the courage to do it yet.

Ollie texted me and said he was coming over to help me pack. That was a couple hours ago, and due to the lack of things I actually have, I'm almost finished. I crack open another beer just as a knock comes at my door. Before I can take a step to answer it, Oliver peeks his head in.

"Oh, good," he says with a smirk. "You're still alive."

My eyes narrow. "Ha-ha, asshole. You're very funny."

He shrugs, closing the door behind him. "I'd like to think so." He walks over to the kitchen and sets a six pack on the counter. "Sorry I'm late. Family meeting ran over."

I take another drink. "You have those often?"

Oliver laughs, cracking a beer open for himself. "Yeah, like never. I've haven't seen my dad that pissed since he caught me drag racing his mustang across Cherry Bridge."

I smile. I remember that night. Cooper Thomas bet Ollie his car was faster—and the prize? The heart of Farrah Briggs, resident lover of all things dangerous and a smoking body to go with it. Long story short— Ollie won, and they dated for a magical two weeks.

Oliver takes a seat on the barstool and twirls his bottle between his hands. "I don't necessarily think this will be a bad thing. A little distance is good for a relationship."

I scoff, almost spitting out a mouthful of beer. "How would you know what is good for a relationship? I think your longest one lasted about a month."

"It was six weeks and that wasn't my fault," he argues pointing his finger at me.

"Uh huh, I'm sure it wasn't." I set my beer down and continue shoving random items into a box. "I really don't want your father to hate me."

Oliver smirks. "He doesn't hate you, but you have to admit he took the whole situation rather well. I've done a lot of shady shit over the years, but Elliot is like his pride and joy. The one who is destined to do great things." His smile fades as he takes another drink. "He's pretty much given up on that dream when it comes to me."

"Come on, man. You're not that bad."

Oliver raises an eyebrow, and I laugh.

"I'm serious. Sure, you like to dick off a lot, but you get shit done when you need to."

He ignores my comment and takes another drink, staring over my shoulder. "Elliot's really upset."

My heart sinks when he says that. The last thing I want to do is hurt her more when she's already so messed up over this. Oliver senses the weirdness in my mood and smirks at me.

"Don't worry, brother. My dad's cool. This whole thing will blow over in no time."

I drop a box to the floor with a thud and lean against the counter. "I'm going to break up with her."

Oliver's eyes widen. "I'm sorry, I don't think I heard you correctly." He stands up from the stool. "You mean to tell me that after everything you two put me through over these past couple months, you're just done?"