Chapter Five: Promises Are The Sweetest Lies

Elliot

A stabbing in my back wakes me up out of a rather peaceful sleep. I tilt my gaze to Hunter curled up behind me. Mystery solved. My eyes drift to the television that is asking if we are still there. Netflix is such an asshole.

I give Hunter a nudge and he lazily opens his eyes. I press my ass back against him and he lets out a grunt. It takes a few moments for him to realize what he's doing to me. He inches back away from me. "Sorry about that. Mornings and all."

I giggle. "Sure, it is."

I stand up from the couch and stretch my arms above my head. "Sorry I passed out."

He grins up at me. "I didn't mind."

With another laugh, I give a pointed look to his crotch. "Obviously."

He continues to eye me from his position on the couch and I get that strange feeling in the pit of my stomach again. I try to brush it off while I search for my shoes. "Oliver is going to be pissed. He's making me run sprints this morning."

"He's such a slave driver. Why don't you just stay here and we'll polish off the rest of season two?" He pulls the blanket back and waggles his eyebrows. "You know you want to know what happens after Blair graduates."

I roll my eyes. "If I crawl back under that blanket with you, I'll really be late."

He shrugs. "It's better than running sprints."

I laugh while I struggle to tie my left sneaker. "Maybe some other time." I give him a wink over my shoulder and his grin widens right before I walk out of the door.

I close the door behind me and make my way across the patio where I'm intercepted by a brooding Oliver. He crosses his arms after glancing at his watch. "You're late."

"I know. I'm sorry."

He cocks his head. "And what were you doing in the guest house?"

I scoff. "Me and Hunter were watching horror movies and I fell asleep."

He raises an eyebrow. "Is that all?"

I punch him in the arm and I step past him. "Of course, douchebag. He's like my brother." That's a total lie. I've thought about Hunter a million different ways over the past week and none of them were fraternal.

I make my way quickly up to my room to change into my track pants and a tank top. My phone buzzes from my bedside table. I didn't even realize I'd left it here. I pick it up and see four missed texts from Judah. Not really what I want to deal with right now so I click them off and scroll to my favorite playlist. I'll let the music drown out the excessive thoughts in my head—especially the ones I shouldn't be having.

***

Oliver pushes me hard and I actually enjoy it. He thinks he's being a dick by screaming at me to run faster, but it fuels me. I take pleasure in the fact that I'm able to surpass people's expectations. I hate to lose.

After two hours of the most grueling sprints and cardio we finally take a break. We sit side by side on the bleachers, drinking water, in silence.

I glance over at Oliver and he really looks like he wants to say something. "Come out with it, Ollie. I know there's something super important swirling around in that brain of yours."

He folds his hands in lap and sighs. "I don't want you with Hunter."

I lean back and give him a stunned look. "Whoa. Where's this coming from?"