Chapter Thirty-Six: Rumor Has It

Hunter

Elliot is wrapped in a cocoon of blankets when I enter the game room downstairs. I motion toward the TV. "Please don't tell me you and Judah were watching Netflix?"

She tosses a pillow at me. "Get over here." She pulls her blanket down and smiles at me.

It doesn't take long for me to cross the room and take the seat next to her, tugging her against me. I hug her tight, and my chest starts to ease for the first time all night. Leaving her with Judah all of the time is starting to wear on me. I still don't trust his intentions, and I probably never will, but it's something I'm going to have to deal with, I guess.

Elliot inches back and places her hand on my face. "I missed you."

Instead of answering, I press my lips to hers and kiss her hard. I miss her every time I'm forced to be away from her. Especially since that time away now usually involves her hanging out with her ex.

She grips the back of my neck and climbs onto my lap, straddling me. She deepens our kiss, and I run my hands down her sides to grip her ass. I pull her closer and get lost in the urgency of her lips on mine. Every moment feels so fleeting and I'm never sure when I'll get another one.

I curse myself for even thinking that when Oliver comes bounding into the room. He flops down on the recliner beside us with a grin. "Geez, Elle. You should have never faked sick. The play was a disaster."

Elliot readjusts her position so she is sitting next to me. "What happened?"

I exchange a look with Oliver. "Let's just say you were the one keeping Dylan on track. He messed up some of his lines, and Cameron had a complete meltdown on stage."

Laughter bursts out of her. "Well, you know what they say. Karma is a bitch and so is Cameron."

Oliver smiles. "That may be true my dear sister, but she's not finished with you yet."

"What do you mean?"

"Considering her plan didn't work out how she had hoped, her new plan is to destroy you in a different way."

Elliot shoots up from the couch to the floor and begins to pace. "No way. We had a deal. I can't help it if Dylan is an idiot."

Oliver grabs the bag of popcorn from the end table and shoves a handful in his mouth. "Doesn't matter. She wants the throne." He makes a very serious face, but ends up laughing anyway.

She crosses her arms. "Okay, so now what?"

Oliver dusts his hands off dramatically, and she glares at him. "She told everyone you got sick tonight because you're pregnant."

She rolls her eyes. "No one's going to believe that."

Oliver expression shifts again to serious. "That's not the worst part—she said it's not Judah's."

The look of horror on Elliot's face matches the churning in my stomach. "And who's the father then?"

Oliver leans in and mock whispers to us. I fight the urge to punch him. "Rumor has it—it's a teacher."

Tears pool in her eyes. "She wouldn't." Her jaw clenches tight as she balls her hands into fists.

I stand up from the couch and hug her to me. "Don't panic yet. She didn't say who." I look to Oliver. "Right?"