Chapter Forty-Four: Bloom

Elliot

I stared at my reflection in the mirror for the longest time before I got the strength to walk downstairs. This is the day I looked forward to for as long as I can remember. It doesn't feel that way anymore, not for the reason it should. I have the perfect dress, the perfect date, and I know without a doubt I'm about to be queen. Keeping my nomination was the last nail in Cameron's coffin. She doesn't get to win this battle. I've been fighting it for far longer than anyone even realized.

Sitting in the cab of Judah's truck, the air feels almost stifling. When Ollie told me he and Hunter were chaperoning, I was livid. Why would he want to be in the same place as me when he doesn't care anymore?

Judah's eyes shift from the road to me. "You okay, babe?"

I nod quickly. "Yeah, why?"

"You look like you're headed to death row," he remarks with a smirk.

I twist an errant curl of hair around my finger as I stare out the window. "Aren't I? I mean, Cameron is just waiting to ruin my evening. It's all anyone can talk about. If I were smart, I would just skip this night all together."

He reaches over and pats my knee to get my attention. "Elliot, look at me." When my eyes meet his he continues. "Cameron won't win tonight."

He holds my gaze for several moments before looking back to the road. "And I'm not just talking prom queen. She's not going to win period." The determination in his voice almost makes me emotional for some reason. "The Elliot I know would never be afraid—of anything. You're confident and beautiful and that is what attracts people to you."

"Well, I'm scared now. I've never been more afraid of anything my life." I look down to my hands clasped in my lap as I speak. I'm not really talking about prom, and I think he knows that. "I don't think it's fair talking to you about this."

He shakes his head. "You can talk to me about anything, Elle." I look over at him, and he winks. "That's what I'm here for, babe."

All I can do is give a small smile back as we pull into the parking lot of the venue for prom. It's being held at one of the fancier golf courses just outside of town in their ballroom. I think my father was upset they didn't have it at the lodge, but this is tradition, and most people don't like to stray from that.

Judah gives me a reassuring smile when we exit the vehicle and takes my hand in his. All eyes are on us as we make our entrance, including a pair of blue ones I see standing next to my brother in the corner. The sight of him dressed in a tuxedo makes my chest ache. It takes everything inside of me to pry my eyes away as I greet our friends.

We are immediately swarmed by groups of people commenting on how nice my dress is, how happy they are we're here together, and most importantly, how much of bitch they think Cameron is. I never wanted to start a war with her. She was my best friend for almost my entire life. If anything, what she did hurt me deeply. How could anyone sacrifice their friendship just so they could be noticed? Well, she got her wish, just not in the way she planned on.

I lean into Judah's ear. "I'm going to ladies' room. I'll be right back."

"The last time you said that you were gone for over twenty minutes."

My cheeks flush as the memory of Fall Festival flashes in my mind. I give his arm a squeeze. "I promise I'll be right back this time."

His eyes drift to Hunter and then back to me. "Okay." The uncertainty lacing his voice brings on a new wave of guilt. I push it down as I make my way through the crowd, doing my best to avoid Hunter's glare as I pass him.