Pt.5 The Life Of The Jet Plane Hero: Sabre

Italics = storytelling

Alright Endeavor, I gotta say, you never were interested in my past.

It's been full of assholes, that was for sure, like a lotta heroes I got bullied, my quirk, my looks and just anything they could dig at.

That hero persona, it was made well before I actually went to UA, I'd already discarded the name of Atsu Jetto and started introducing myself as Sabre.

All I had to say, Sabre is a different man to Atsu Jetto, I hadn't been him in a long time. Since middle school, every day I put on the mask of the hero persona of Sabre. My home life wasn't much better, I had food, water and shelter. Sure, neither of em would beat us or anything, but still, they didn't put as much effort into me and my brother as they could have.

Everything started to change once the mask went on, I was no longer the shy kid with a small time mutant quirk, I was the overly confident hero, Sabre, not afraid to show what I was made of. After I lost it, I started relying on the facade of Sabre more and more, the more I relied on him to take the wheel, the more I got into fights.

That's where everything came from, the skills from street and school fights, I sent thirty seven kids to hospital in one year. Five of them still suffer from effects from the broken bones I gave them.

I started to fight back against the Sabre persona, locked in mental combat with it, trying to turn it back to what it was meant to be. A mask I could put on for, say, a stat buff.

I spent a week, trying and failing to fight off what I had become, the man who had transitioned to fourteen different schools to the naive kid who wanted to be a hero, I saw myself going down the path of a villain. After a week of fighting it, draining me to the point where I couldn't shower, sleep, eat, drink, I lost 10 kilograms in that one week alone and started to throw up dinners afterwards.

The good news was, I won. Sabre was now the mask, now under my control. Put on and taken off when needed.

I've struggled time and time again with the Sabre persona, it came back, wanting control, it got easier and easier to fight off as the years went by. Thing is, by the end of middle school, I'd just fought off the mask of Sabre for a while. Everyone knew me by what I'd created, the week before, I'd just put Jackson Cage, a student from America with a smart mouth in hospital. It really didn't help.

I went to UA, after that, all the fighting skills I'd learnt over my time as Sabre, they paid off. The entrance exam was where I developed my Thunderjet Finisher.

Over time, with help from some of the students, I learned to live in harmony with Sabre, we're two separate entities with equal control. I'm with friends, I take him off, I become Atsu, need to save someone, need a villain dealt with, I turn into Sabre.

Y/N: Shit. Did you ever think about getting rid of the Sabre persona forever?

Tried that. It didn't work. I had to learn how to live with him after I realised once he was created, he wasn't going anywhere. I could never pound it into submission, only to where I have control.

I met you, and you had such mental strength, never affected by anything that happened, I thought that you'd be unfazed by everyone you loved dying, and while that might sound bad, it was the kind of person I wished my base personality to have been, cos, I struggled so much that I made a persona for myself to cope.

You, you never had to change something about yourself to cope with your situation, I regret making the persona, it's a part of me now, I'll never be rid of it. If I had been like you, I would've never needed him and I'd be happier, more relaxed.

Y/N: You can't control your circumstances. Only how you react. To be honest that was a perfectly reasonable reaction. It affected you years after, but isn't it that sort of perseverance that makes you as good a hero as you are?

Guess you're right, after all, without the perseverance I gained, those miners would have died.

Y/N: Miners?

Yeah, my first year into pro hero work, cave collapsed, no one had a viable quirk, after an assessment with an Infrared user, they figured the only way was to smash through the the 500 metres worth of rocks into fine dust.

No one had a quirk to pull that off, not anyone who was on the scene anyway. So, for eight days straight, resting and eating only at night, a smashed my way through the rocks using metal gloves, I went through twenty four pairs in the eight days, I tired out, sweat as the air became stale and hot and heavy. I pushed through, all 500 metres of it. All crushed to fine dust.

Two of the thirty eight miners died, one from malnourishment, the other had killed himself from the insanity he faced.

I couldn't save them, but yeah, my perseverance saved the rest of them.

Y/N: Holy shit.

You probably could have done the same, I'm not exactly a good hero, what's number 52 to anyone?

Y/N: Yet more heroic than the number one? Huh? Where was All Might when they needed him, huh? No. They had you to save them.

Look. I appreciate the affirmation but, there's a reason I'm not anywhere near you.

Y/N: Bro. Those miners would be eternally grateful for what you did for them.

I never did persevere through the night, I could have saved them.

Y/N: No you couldn't, you would have killed yourself, leaving no one to save them.

Sabre: All right. Thanks Endeavor, I could use a drink.

Y/N: You deserve it, on me.