6. Checking on you

Conner's pov

I shut the door behind me and walk over to my dresser to get changed out of this stupid bikini. I take off my shorts and the door opens slowly. 

"Are you-" Mateo walks in, seeing my cuts instantly. "What the hell happened to you" He asks worriedly. 

"Nothing" I mumble. "That ain't nothing Conner. Did you do this to yourself" He questions more. 

I don't know how to reply so I just remain quiet and take my gaze off him and onto the floor.

"You did, why" He softens his tone. "I deserve to feel the pain" I mumble, hoping he wouldn't hear me but he did. 

"I don't know anything about you but from what I do know, I know you don't deserve it. Who made you think that" He takes a couple of steps closer to me. "My ex" I whisper, my eyes becoming filled with tears. 

"That asshole is wrong" He utters "What else did he do to you" He asks quietly like hes afraid to know. 

"He hit me, a lot" I whisper with a tear rolling down my cheek. Mateo notices and walks over to me. He places his hand on my chin and tilts my head up to look at him. He wipes the tear away gently than pulls me into his body for a hug. I wrap my arms around him and start to sob. I bury my head in his chest. His soft, masculine smell covers my noise. 

After a while of just standing there, Mateo slowly pulls away from the hug and grabs one of my t shirts from my closet. He slips it over my head while I just stand there. 

I walk over to the bed with my arms hugging my body. I lay down and Mateo lays down beside me. Not touching me. 

"He said I deserved every bit of pain I got" I mumble, bringing up earlier. Mateo looks over to me, giving me his attention. My eyes meet his brown eyes and just stair. "At first our relationship was perfect. Every thing felt like a dream but then we got comforterable with each other and he started lashing out in anger spurts. In the beginning he would say sorry right afterwards and it would only happen like once a week but then the longer we were together the more it happened. Then it was every day when we saw each other" I utter. 

Mateo narrows his eyes brows "How did you get away" He asks quietly. 

"Hannah saw him hit me and pulled me out of the situation. I haven't seen him since but he has tried to contact me. Each time I block him" I mumble, repositioning my head on the pillow. 

"How long have you guys been friends" He asks, trying to change the topic. "Since primary, all 3 of us. We are like triplets" I chuckle at the thought of them. "How long have you known Jackson and Noah" I ask him in return. 

"I have known them for the last 5 years" He sighs and looks over to me. Our eyes meet again but this time we don't look away.

Mateo's eyes switch back and forth between my eyes. 

"Do you have a girlfriend" I ask randomly without even thinking. "No but I have had a couple in the past" He chuckles at the randomness of my question. 

"Oooh your a lovers boy" I tease him. "Am not" He rolls his eyes. 

I just smile and snuggle up into the blankets. A knock on the door interrupts the quiet that fell on the room. 

"Come in" Mateo yells from beside me. 

Hannah and Gabbie slowly walk in. Both of them are wrapped in towels with their hair wet. 

"We just came to check on you" Hannah utters. "I'm fine" I reply. 

Hannah just gives us a soft smile and pulls on Gabbie's arm, signalling her to leave. They both walk out the door, shutting it behind them. 

We remain quiet for a while. My eyes begin to get heavy and I struggle to stay awake.  "Do I deserve pain" I mumble to Mateo. He looks over at me shocked I would ask that. 

He turns on his side so hes facing me. "Not at all Conner" He whispers, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear. I fall a sleep fast. 

_____________

The sunlight shines through the curtain and I roll over to face where Mateo was laying last night before I feel asleep. Its empty. 

I rub my eyes than make my way to my dresser. I change out of the t shirt Mateo put me in over my bikini and into a pair of pj shorts and a crop top. I throw my hair up into a very messy bun then I make my way to the bathroom to do my morning stuff. 

Mateo's pov

"Where were you last night" Noah asks. "Up stairs checking on the girl you threw into the water" I roll my eyes at him. 

"I was just trying to have fun" He defends himself. 

Conner wonders in the kitchen slowly with her natural blonde hair in a messy bun and barely any clothes on. Showing off her perfect body. 

Her arms hug herself and she still looks very tired. She looks over to me and her face instantly lightens up. "Morning lovers boy" She smiles. 

"You are gonna hold that against me aren't you" I utter. "Yup" She nods with a cheeky smile. 

You got a look into Conner's past. I might get a litter darker. Also, when Mateo says that Conner is wearing barely any clothes I don't mean that in a inappropriate way or sexualizing her.